Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Red face Question on 1913 Mt Vernon Rye Unopened Bottle?

Hello, i am not a bourbon/whiskey drinker... (I'm more of a wine Kind of Girl) But have recently acquired a bottle that reads: "? spring 1917 made spring 1913 Mt Vernon Rye" It's paper label and paper across the top are intact but has wholes/tears and wear. It has never been opened. Is it drinkable? or is the value in the bottle? Or does it have no value? Thanks ahead of time for any information on this subject.

Guru

Re: Question on 1913 Mt Vernon Rye Unopened Bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by jamies View Post
    Hello, i am not a bourbon/whiskey drinker... (I'm more of a wine Kind of Girl) But have recently acquired a bottle that reads: "? spring 1917 made spring 1913 Mt Vernon Rye" It's paper label and paper across the top are intact but has wholes/tears and wear. It has never been opened. Is it drinkable? or is the value in the bottle? Or does it have no value? Thanks ahead of time for any information on this subject.
    Welcome! We have a not of non-bourbon drinkers who come here asking the value of bottles. The short answer is that its worth whatever someone wants to pay you for it. A pre-probibition bottle like that is of historical value and would be a great thing to donate to a museum.

If you want further information, check this link for when the roadshow will be in your area: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/ontheroad.html
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I'm new here, but I would say the best predictor of the price of something is to look on ebay and see what similar items have brought in. I think there is a way to search including past auctions as well as current.

I have no idea as to its drinkability. Definitely worth more sealed then empty though.

Virtuoso

I think the bottle has more value empty after all your friends have helped drink it.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Personally I would keep it and drink it on a special occasion. Could you get some money for on e-bay probably but not a lot. If your not a bourbon drinker but you know someone who is this would make a very nice gift.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.