Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

A tasting of 5 ryes

Just had an informal tasting with my wife and I and the tasting notes are informal as well. The 5 ryes in order were...

Michters single barrel
    Rittenhouse BIB
    Van Winkle FRR
    Michter's 10 year old single barrel
    Baby Saz

We both noticed alot of similiarities between the Michter's sb vs. the RRBIB and also between the VWFRR and the Michter's 10 year. Maybe the same whiskies??
    The winner of the evening was the Baby Saz.
    While the rye spiciness was evident in the first two, the whiskey wasn't nearly as complex as the next two. The only drawback of the VWFRR and the Michter's 10 year was a bit more burn but the flavors were vey intense and stood up to a little added water.
    The Baby Saz was well balanced between smoothness and flavor.
    I think I'll definitely be adding some more Baby Saz to the bunker and I love the old "back bar" style bottle.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

Re: A tasting of 5 ryes

Definitely a great rye lineup and tasting you were able to enjoy there. Not yet had a chance to try a Michter's product.....seen one here and there sometimes and may have to try one now. The other 3 are bigtime favorites of mine in the rye arena.....always have at least 2 of the 3 on hand.

Virtuoso

My wife said that she enjoyed rye more than bourbon after we went to Whiskyfest last year so I picked up a few different ones but it's taken 6 months to get around to opening the Michters and the Saz.
    I usually have a Van Winkle and a Rittenhouse on hand.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

Saz Jr. & VW easy finds in my stomping grounds but Ritt BIB has become rather scarce in recent days which scares me a bit. When that happens, a price increase soon follows as supply becomes available again....at least in TN that is - from my personal experience.

Virtuoso

The Rittenhouse BIB just went up about $4 or $5 here in the past year.

Virtuoso

Just what I'm afraid is going to be the case in my environs once it reappears. The last one I bought was still a very reasonable $12. I've heard it is leaning toward a 20-bill in some places.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Saz Jr. & VW easy finds in my stomping grounds but Ritt BIB has become rather scarce in recent days which scares me a bit. When that happens, a price increase soon follows as supply becomes available again....at least in TN that is - from my personal experience.
    Same where I am. The last time I found one it was tucked behind some other stuff and all buy it self. I just had to give the little guy a good home.

Advanced Taster

Rittenhouse BIB is $20 in the Syracuse, NY area.

Eric

Virtuoso

In between work today, I was able to make a couple of inquiries by phone and a stop on the way home.....no Ritt BIB anywhere in sight of my headlights at the moment. Good thing I still have half a 750, will have to take it slower.....

Virtuoso

I passed up a bottle last weekend. I think i should add a few to the bunker.