Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: A tasting of 5 ryes

I've been on a serious rye kick lately and have been pulling out lots of different bottles over the course of the last week. I should say up front that I love rye as much as bourbon (and sometimes more), so I can find something to appreciate in almost any bottle I sample. There seem to be fewer dogs in the rye stable, and about the only crime I ever come across is that one may be a bit too refined and therefore lacking in the spiciness that I crave.

The latest kick started off with an evening of Russell's Reserve Rye last weekend while watching football. Very good stuff and better than I had remembered it to be. The next night it was RRR and WT Rye, the latter providing even more "zing" and a great value at $20. I wouldn't say one was better than the other. They're both great but in different ways. The following night it was Rittenhouse BIB and Michter's US*1 Single Barrel Straight Rye. I love Rittenhouse, so it was hard to make the switch to the Michter's without the latter coming off a tad too smooth. Having said that, the Michter's US*1 is excellent stuff, despite getting very little ink around here.

After a night off, I did a Michter's US*1 and Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel side by side. The 10 year old tastes much bolder and seems like it's been in the barrel much longer than 10 years. (I think it's been established that it is actually much older juice, but I can't remember how old.) And last night it was a Michter's 10 and Saz 18 evening. Again, I loved them both for different reasons, so would be hesitant to say one was better than the other. Tonight though come my favorites of all: Thomas Handy Sazerac and Van Winkle Family Reserve. And I've got a dusty bottle of Rittenhouse Rye (80 proof) from the late seventies lined up for this Sunday's football games. Should be fun! (I think my brother made off with my Baby Saz because I can't find that little bugger anywhere. )
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Those sound like some fine ryes. The only ones I don't have are the Saz18 and the Handy. With the Michter's and the Van Winkle being as old as the Saz, I figure three of the same age might be overkill but I think i should add a Handy to the rye stable to have a barrel proof option. I've only tried it once before but recall that it was an excellent rye.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I've got a dusty bottle of Rittenhouse Rye (80 proof) from the late seventies lined up for this Sunday's football games. Should be fun!
    Very interesting Hank! Does it say distilled in Kentucky or in Tennessee on the label?

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    Very interesting Hank! Does it say distilled in Kentucky or in Tennessee on the label?

Leif
    The dusty Rittenhouse says "Continental Distilling, Owensboro, KY." I remember tracking down its age at one point but I don't remember where, and the bottom of the bottle doesn't tell me anything. I'll post a picture shortly.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet