Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distinct Flavor

Distinct Flavor

I am noticing a distinct flavor within a few of the Beam made bottles I have. Knob Creek has it, Bookers has it a bit and OGD BIB really has it. I am sure this is a known characteristic from Beam, help me understand it. Where does it come from? Mashbill, yeast or barrel? To me it almost has a water logged oak flavor.
    Last edited by deaconbones; 01-09-2010 at 17:21.

Guru

Lightbulb Re: Distinct Flavor

While I agree that Booker's and Knob Creek share a distinct flavor profile, to me Old Grand Dad is another thing entirely. It uses a different, higher rye mash bill which is itself shared with Basis Hayden's.

But, with that said, Booker's, Knob Creek, and Old Grand Dad are my favorite Beam bourbons. I rarely drink any other Beam bourbons.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Virtuoso

Re: Distinct Flavor

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    While I agree that Booker's and Knob Creek share a distinct flavor profile, to me Old Grand Dad is another thing entirely. It uses a different, higher rye mash bill which is itself shared with Basis Hayden's.

But, with that said, Booker's, Knob Creek, and Old Grand Dad are my favorite Beam bourbons. I rarely drink any other Beam bourbons.

Tim
    It is my understanding that Beam uses quite a bit more barley than other distilleries. Can anyone confirm that?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Virtuoso

Thumbs up Re: Distinct Flavor

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    While I agree that Booker's and Knob Creek share a distinct flavor profile, to me Old Grand Dad is another thing entirely.
    Same opinion here. KC is something I enjoyed alright when the price point was under $25 but was never among my favorites. Booker's, a little hotter but same profile. However, OGD is much different and one of my all-time favorites.....especially the 114 recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconbones View Post
    I am noticing a distinct flavor within a few of the Beam made bottles I have. Knob Creek has it, Bookers has it a bit and OGD BIB really has it. I am sure this is a known characteristic from Beam, help me understand it. Where does it come from? Mashbill, yeast or barrel? To me it almost has a water logged oak flavor.
    KC and Bookers are the same juice, OGD is a different mashbill all together. I don't know if they use the same yeast or not I doubt that JB keeps a second yeast for one bourbon for fear of cross contamination. All though FR keeps 5. So I think what your tasting is in the barrel.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    KC and Bookers are the same juice, OGD is a different mashbill all together. I don't know if they use the same yeast or not I doubt that JB keeps a second yeast for one bourbon for fear of cross contamination. All though FR keeps 5. So I think what your tasting is in the barrel.

That's is interesting that KC and Booker's are the same juice.

I totally agree that OG BIB is a totally different animal but there is a common element in each of the three that tells me they are of the same family. I mean we all know they are from Beam but finding that common thread for me was a cool discovery.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Distinct Flavor

Quote Originally Posted by deaconbones View Post
    .... but finding that common thread for me was a cool discovery.
    Excellent. That's what its all about, making your own discoveries.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    It's my understanding that Beam retained the full OGD recipe when they acquired the brand, including its distinctive yeast. I certainly don't taste much similarity between OGD and the standard Beam recipe. There is a certain anise/licorice/tamarind/funk in KC, Baker's, etc., and it would seem to be something that lessens with aging, which would seem to contraindicate its being a barrel influence. More likely a mashbill or yeast issue.

It is possible, and even likely, that the OGD yeast would act differently at Clermont than it did at Frankfort, as yeast are pretty picky little buggers. There may be something atmospheric or a particular way of handling fermentation that yields the Beam house "funk." FWIW, I don't really pick up much of it in OGD, but I have a current BIB open and thought I detected a hint of the funk in the first pour from the bottle. Since then, no funk. Just flowers and candy corn and orange. Marvelous.

Regards,
    Tim

Virtuoso

TBoner, I've read the same thing about OGD. While much of the other whiskey that Jim Beam purchased from National Distillers was switched over to the standard Jim Beam mashbill and yeast, Old Grand-dad got to keep its own.

Cowdery writes "but for Old Grand-dad [Beam] would continue to make the Old Grand-dad formula..." page 213 of Bourbon, Straight.

This eliminates yeast and mashbill (unless you are in fact, getting a slight amount of the beam yeast in OGD? doubt it). Water logged oak flavor...?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

To me, Beam Black and Booker's are closer than Booker's and KC.

I get a coco-cola element to the nose in Beam whiskeys. It is barely present in OGD, more in the 114 than BIB.