Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 10/10: Sazerac Rye

Sorry about posting this months BOTM a little late. Again. I've been a bit busy. I also apologize if I said anything to anyone about something else being the BOTM, but.... I received something of a hint/suggestion from a member about the possibilities of other ryes as BOTM. Soooooo, this months BOTM is Sazerac Rye.

Known as Sazerac Rye, Baby Saz, Saz Jr, Saz. Whatever name you wish. Let's here your thoughts about Sazerac Rye. Personally, I'm not much of a rye guy. Most of you know that my preference is for wheaters. I have tasted Baby Saz a couple of times, and I have bought a few bottles of Everett's 09 bottling of it. I must say that Baby Saz doesn't have the bite or bitterness that some ryes seem to have to me. There's just a hint of sweetness there that seems to take the edge off a bit. Not too bad. While I won't go out and buy a bunch, I won't stick my nose up at it either. As I am want to say sometimes, it's all good. Cheers and good posting. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 10/10: Sazerac Rye

Love the stuff. A great mid shelf pour that goes for $27 around here. Hard for me to keep a bottle in stock as it goes very fast. My favorite regular rye and one that's hard to put down as once I get into it I tend to stick with it for the session.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

I was at the fancy-pants grocery store recently where frequently buy beer, wine and whiskey. There was a man in his twenties who had just picked up and put down a bottle of RRR and had a Ri1 bottle in his hand. I reached for the Saz and said, "If you're looking for rye, this is the one you want." He looked at me and then looked at the tag on the shelf. "Wow, and this one's cheaper too!" "You won't be dissappointed," I said. He smiled and walked off with the bottle of Saz.

They outta put me on the payroll there.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Excellent choice for BOTM. Baby Saz never fails to please and it is remarkable whiskey at a fantastic price.

Cheers!

Disciple

I have had 2 bottles all together of this one with several years in between. Itís not my cup of tee at all. Far too friendly for my taste. Not even in the same league as Rittenhouse BIB.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

Not a bad pour but one that I tend to pass by often.... still only half way through my first bottle. When I use rye as a mixer WT or RITT is my go to and when I want it neat it is Handy or daddy Saz.... Baby just ends up in no mans land......
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ...had a Ri1 bottle in his hand. I reached for the Saz and said, "If you're looking for rye, this is the one you want." He looked at me and then looked at the tag on the shelf. "Wow, and this one's cheaper too!" "You won't be dissappointed," I said. He smiled and walked off with the bottle of Saz.

They outta put me on the payroll there.
    You certainly won't be getting any offers from Beam Global.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Of the everyday ryes, this is far and away, my favorite. I love it's distinctiveness. Ya know, I really don't know what a real rye whiskey is supposed to taste like...historically speaking. I just figure it should be demonstratively different from bourbon. And, different this Baby Saz is. Much more so, I think, than the other ryes, which I find to be too mild and "bourbony". I really love this whiskey. Definitely, another of the 9 in my Top 5.

And, paired with a fudgesicle...Yowza!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

I just finished off a bottle of Baby Saz last night. I need to make a run to the store to replace it (well, that, and a few other bottles).
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Novice

Unhappy Re: BOTM 10/10: Sazerac Rye

Hmmm? I may be at odds here, but the two bottles of Baby Saz (purchased at different times) seemed to have a pronounce muddy taste up front that I just can't seem to appreciate. I love OGD 114 and other high rye bourbons so I am not sure why I have the problem with Saz. I can't quite bring myself to pour the second bottle down the sink. I pawned the first off on an out of state relative and decided to give it another chance as so many members of this forum rave about it. Must just be my tastebuds. I did have a taste of Beam rye at a friends and I thought it was alright.