Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 1/10 Weller 12 Year Old

We have Weller 12YO and its evidently a barrel that Mcscrooges picked .... when I had a taste of it I thought it was way better than the 4Roses single barrel which is double the price. I really like this stuff and wanted to maybe get more of it... like bunker a bunch.. They also have some of the Antique107 for a buck less a bottle... that stuff is good too... so its twenty for the 12YO and 19 for the antique here in Knoxville at McScrooge's... I could stick with this bourbon and forsake the rest. I am not into spending tons of money on Bourbon and this is only five bucks a bottle more than I was paying for the Ezra Brooks and to me it is top notch. I thought i tasted Maraschino cherries in it lol.

Irreverent One

I used to buy Weller 12 all the time in Florida. When I moved to Oregon three years ago, I couldn't find it anywhere. Two years ago I encountered five very dusty bottles in a Springfield store, markd "OLCC discontinued" and priced at $22.75 each. I bought all five. I'm currently half way through bottle number three.

I've had this side-by-side with VW Lot B, and consider the latter only slightly better. My wife, who has very expensive tastes, feels the VW is a lot better.

Connoisseur

Very lucky for me I have a contact that is willing to pick up the Binny's bottling of this and get them to me.
    I love the stuff. It is not only a great deal but also a great bourbon.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a good liquor store in Louisville to pick up some Weller 12? I've only seen it at one store and it was $29.99. I currently have a bottle of OWA that I thoroughly enjoy, and would love to check out some 12 year Weller. Thought that $29.99 was a little high though...

Enthusiast

Love the weller 12. I am a wheater at heart and this one is well balanced. Getting harder to find in TN as it is not always in stock. Mcscrooges has a good supply. I have orders to pick up a few for some friends. Its well liked by many and has a good price locally. tim

Enthusiast

Cool Re: BOTM 1/10 Weller 12 Year Old

Wanna see a total novice's take on three Weller 12 botttles?

On Sunday I tried the three Wellers I have against one another. The results were not what I expected.

The current handle had a nose that was bright fresh fruit, candied yams, ripe plums. This one has a velvety mouthfeel, very dense yet soft. The entry was of ripe dark fruit, with a pleasant oak note. This bottle has a lingering oily mouthfeel. This is amazing for a sub $17 bottle.

The second I tried was the Binny's Weller 12. This one has a lot more rye-like spice in the initial taste as well as a bit of acetone in the nose. While it's more layered, the taste is more muted.

The SW juice was very similar to the Binny's. I didn't take good notes on this one, and I need to compare the two back to back to make a better observation. The sample of Binny's that Hectic1 sent me is gone so until I get a bottle of this one, a closer comparison will have to wait.

So far, my surprises are 1) the current is so different from the SW and Binnys 2) Binny's and SW are so similar, and 3) I like the current the best right now, followed by the SW, and by a hair, the Binny's in 3rd. Considering only provenance, I expected to enjoy the SW most, followed by Binnys, and trailed by current Weller 12.

When I get a bottle of Binny's here I'll spend some time with the three. Keep in mind, I'm a novice so my observations are just that.

Virtuoso

Very good one to have.....and bunker, if you can find them in the plural form. Only got one at present and it remains unopened until I can find a backup.....few and far between nowadays but as the norm....the search continues....

Advanced Taster

This is one of the best values on the market, luckely there is one store in the area that seems to have a pretty good supply of it so far.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Enthusiast

Great bourbon. Had a friend in from out of town and had to make a trip to the store so he could stock up. $20 a bottle, its a great price for an awsome palate. tim

Disciple

Back when I was keeping more detailed (obsessive) notes about bourbons, I would assign ratings to every pour I tasted. Weller 12 was the first to break the 9.0 mark on my scale. As I got more nerdy I started evaluating bourbons not only on taste, but on ratio between quality and price. Even though other bourbons surpassed Weller 12, there has yet to be a currently produced pour to even come close on the quality/price ratio.

Weller 12 is rich with deep vanillas and caramels. The barrel has added character without stripping away the notes from the original spirit. There are great oak notes on the nose, which perfectly complement the sweet palate.

I first bought this in Lexington at Liquor Barn and then picked up every bottle they had in Bowling Green. It has been reordered at some stores, but it does not last long.

Great stuff. Grab it if you can find it.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.