Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 1/10 Weller 12 Year Old

Weller 12 has been generally unavailable in No. KY for most of the past year. Because of a shortage of aged stock, production was temporarily halted. A limited release was done a couple of months ago (primarily in KY and nearby states) but that quickly disappeared from local shelves.

A BT rep told me recently that the next production run will be around Derby time and in greater quantity than the last one. He also said that it will likely be a year or more before production gets fully in synch with growing demand.

Having said all that, there are obviously still quantities in the distribution pipeline elsewhere.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Weller 12 is a long-time go-to pour for me. Similar to the experience of others, I've been having a hard time finding it locally (in my case, Florida). I also noticed a price creep (theoretical, since I can't get any) up to $30. Is this typical in other areas?

-Kevin

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by scopenut View Post
    I also noticed a price creep (theoretical, since I can't get any) up to $30. Is this typical in other areas?
    -Kevin
    It is $24.99, when available, at the 24 Binny's stores around here. I know of a non Binny's store that has it at $26.99. There are very few retailers, outside of Binny's, that carry it around here.

Virtuoso

Recently had a chance to try some of this again. It was much better than the first bottle I tried, actually a decent drinking whiskey!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

The Binny's Weller 12 is one of my favorite pours...it's sweet on entry with loads of vanilla and caramel on the pallet...the finish isn't quite as long as others but at 90 proof it's about as good as one can expect. I have been bunkering as much of the Binny's bottling as possible as I don't know when I'll be able to buy 14yr 3mo old bourbon for under 25 bucks again! I think I'm running a distant second to fishinbowljoe the number of bottles bunkered...I have 13 with 6 more on the way.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    The Binny's Weller 12 is one of my favorite pours...it's sweet on entry with loads of vanilla and caramel on the pallet...the finish isn't quite as long as others but at 90 proof it's about as good as one can expect. I have been bunkering as much of the Binny's bottling as possible as I don't know when I'll be able to buy 14yr 3mo old bourbon for under 25 bucks again! I think I'm running a distant second to fishinbowljoe the number of bottles bunkered...I have 13 with 6 more on the way.
    PM to me if you or anyone else decides to part with one by sale or trade. I have been able to find only 1 bottle of Weller 12 over the last 2+ years in my part of TN. The Binny's bottling has become almost legendary from what I've read here. They must have gotten a hold of several barrels....seems like plenty of folks have been able to buy a lot of it. Unfortunately, TN is not a friendly state when it comes to buying from out-of-state retailers.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    PM to me if you or anyone else decides to part with one by sale or trade. I have been able to find only 1 bottle of Weller 12 over the last 2+ years in my part of TN. The Binny's bottling has become almost legendary from what I've read here. They must have gotten a hold of several barrels....seems like plenty of folks have been able to buy a lot of it. Unfortunately, TN is not a friendly state when it comes to buying from out-of-state retailers.
    I would certainly entertain the idea of trading you a bottle or two...let me know what you have to offer!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Disciple

I have to agree that the Binny's Weller 12 is, simply put, one of the finest bourbons I have ever tasted at any price or age.

Weller 12 can be found in Massachusetts intermittently for between $33-$38 . . . which is a bit pricey -- I've sen the 1.75L in upstate NY for $38 and the next I pass thru there, I may pick up one or two.

I think the Weller 12 is comparable to the VW Lot B, with a little less butterscotch character and not nearly as luxurious of a nose -- still for half the price (if you can find it in the $20s), it's probably better buy in my book. I love the Weller 12 and wish I could find it more readily and more affordable.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

I found a bottle of W.L. Weller aged 12 years, Frankfort, Kentucky for 20 bucks. Is this the Weller 12 everybody is talking about? I tried the Weller Reserve and wasn't crazy about it being mostly a rum drinker. How is the 12 compared to the Reserve?

SGB

Disciple

" Is this the Weller 12 everybody is talking about?"

Yes.

"How is the 12 compared to the Reserve?"

Crack that sucker and let us know as tasting it yourself will tell you more about it than relying on confirmation bias.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination