Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

1st use of tax stamp and/or DSP?

I recently acquired an old (empty) bottle. It's really old but I was wondering when they first used tax stamps and DSP #'s.
    The bottle I have says it came from distillery No. 80-something in the 5th district of KY. I'm guessing it's pre-prohibition but I was wondering how close I can get on dating the bottle.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Re: 1st use of tax stamp and/or DSP?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    I recently acquired an old (empty) bottle. It's really old but I was wondering when they first used tax stamps and DSP #'s.
    The bottle I have says it came from distillery No. 80-something in the 5th district of KY. I'm guessing it's pre-prohibition but I was wondering how close I can get on dating the bottle.
    The district 5 stuff is here: http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/list...=KY&district=5

I didn't see an 80 listed but...
    Atherton Distillery (near New Haven) was #87 and the Roach distillery, the original home of Old Log Cabin, was #8.

Both ended up selling out to the Trust, according to the website which makes heavy use of the Cecil book and Dept. of Treasury records.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Giving distilleries ID numbers probably started with the first excise in 1791, but the modern system probably dates from when the tax was revived at the beginning of the Civil War. Tax stamps began with the bottled in bond act in the 1890s.

Virtuoso

I found the list at Pre-pro. This bottle was from Atherton and I was able to find out most of that same info but my bottle didn't look like it ever had a tax stamp and I was guessing that those may have started with the BIB act. The label just identifies the contents as "whiskey" and there is no mention of proof (another thing that made me think pre BIB).
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Plenty of whiskey sold after the BIB Act was not BIB. I dare say most of it.

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info Chuck.
    I was also thinking of dating it by the manufacture style of bottle but this one still has a metal wrap on the top so I can't tell if it has a seam there.