Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Help a newb out...

Ok, so I made the mistake of reading through the forum frequently before actually diving into the bourbon world head first. While this has enabled me to pick up some outstanding bourbon right off the bat (PVW 15, PVW 20, GTS, Lot B, and 3 bottles of ORVW 15), it's also led me to being straight broke. I'm a newlywed and I need to find some good inexpensive pours before my wife kills me. I know there are plenty of 'daily pour' threads on the forum, but it seems like prices have gone up and some aren't really 'daily pours' anymore. I know all these bourbons can be had for under $25 in my area:

1. Elmer T. Lee
    2. Wild Turkey 101
    3. Old Weller Antique
    4. Buffalo Trace
    5. Old Grand Dad BIB
    6. Elijah Craig 12
    7. Kentucky Vintage (<----I'm interested to see where this KBD offering stands up to the rest, I saw it for $22 recently)
    8. Four Roses Yellow Label
    9. Evan Williams Single Barrel

From your experience, how would you put them in order from top to bottom? If you have any other personal favorites feel free to add them to your list of course.

in advance!

Advanced Taster

Re: Help a newb out...

I haven't had a few of these, but ranking the ones I have tried:

1. Wild Turkey 101
    2. Elijah Craig 12
    3. Old Weller Antique
    4. Old Grand Dad BIB
    5. Evan Williams Single Barrel

I am much more partial to the OGD114 over the BiB and it should be ~25.

Here are some more that are available in your area that you can add to your list.

Weller Special Reserve
    J. T. S. Brown BIB (Bottled in Bond)
    Very Old Barton BIB
    J. W. Dant BIB
    Old Heaven Hill BIB

All decent pours that can be purchased for under $20.

As for your list, I have only had #s 1-4. Doesn't matter how I would rate them. They are all quality pours, and pretty much equal IMHO, depending on your tastes. But..... if I had to pick one, it would be Old Weller Antique. Joe

Guru

1. Elijah Craig 12
    2. Old Forester Signature*
    3. Evan Williams SB
    4. Very Old Barton BiB (or 90)*
    5. Kentucky Vintage
    6. OGD BiB
    7. 4R Yellow Label
    8. Old Charter 10*
    9. Old Weller Antique
    10. Elmer T. Lee

*added

This is just off the top of my head. Don't quote me. The list could have gotten really long but I cut it off at ten.

Anyway, welcome! And where the heck did you get 3 bottles of ORVW 15?!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

In Ky...home to the best Blue B-ball team in the land, you should be able to score some Ancient Ancient age 10yr old. Affordable and delicious. VOB is also great. Can you tell I like U.K. ? ...and miss the bourbon back home.

Connoisseur

My order would be:

1. Elmer T. Lee
    2. Buffalo Trace
    3. Elijah Craig 12
    4. Evan Williams Single Barrel
    5. Old Weller Antique
    6. Four Roses Yellow Label
    7. Wild Turkey 101
    8. Old Grand Dad BIB
    9. Kentucky Vintage (<----I'm interested to see where this KBD offering stands up to the rest, I saw it for $22 recently) (haven't tried it)
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    In Ky...home to the best Blue B-ball team in the land, you should be able to score some Ancient Ancient age 10yr old. Affordable and delicious...
    Putting aside the silliness of the first part of the statement...Man, how did I forget AAA 10? I would put ETL and that at the same level but AAA 10 is cheaper, so I guess that puts it ahead.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

I notice a few things from reading your post. First, everything you listed is made by Buffalo Trace and all but one is a wheated bourbon. You are also trending towards the older bourbons and often high proof. I am not sure if your list (PVW 15, PVW 20, GTS, Lot B, and 3 bottles of ORVW 15) is the best of what you have had, or simply what you have had (that makes a big difference when recommending where to go from here).

If you are wanting to stay with the same profile I would go with this:

1. OWA - high proof wheater from BT
    2. ETL - Also from BT and has alot of the rich flavors like those above
    3. Weller 12* - very similar to Lot B and about half the price
    4. AAA10* / OC10* - Two older bourbons from BT, the AAA has the higher rye mashbill while the OC has the lower
    5. BT - Like the OC10 this is made with the same mashbill as the GTS.

If you want to switch it up:

1. EWSB - This is perhaps my favorite HH product.
    2. EC12 - Another cult favorite from HH
    3. Bulleit* - A very reasonably priced bourbon with a strong rye kick

Those are my suggestions, take them for what they are worth. Just so you know, I am a huge BT fan. I have never really gotten into WT products and stuff from Beam and Brown Foreman has never impressed me. That being said, there are plenty of people who love those product lines and will have their own recommendations.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Yeah, man . . . you have a good list going there . . . I agree with just about everything on it (although EC12, once my favorite, has been notoriously spotty). Four Roses Yellow Label is excellent despite its low proof & Buffalo Trace is especially one of my favorites -- if you can find a single barrel selection at one of the many KY stores (Liquor Barn, etc.), it'll probably be worth it to try that, too.

I also agree with Ben's addition of Weller 12 -- it's really great and if you can find it for around $25, it's well worth the price. Also, although I love the Wild Turkey 101, the Wild Turkey Rye 101 (in an identical bottle except green on the label) is, in my opinion, a superior whiskey for the same price, and very bourbon-like. Also, the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr is a great pour at a great age and very affordable.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Anyway, welcome! And where the heck did you get 3 bottles of ORVW 15?!
    I went on a road trip from KY to Wisconsin after Christmas and stumbled upon a liquor store that had 3 bottles on the shelf. I couldn't believe it. I kept stopping at random spots looking for tax stamped bottles, and other discontinued bottlings and this was what I came up with. The 'dusty hunt' is definitely addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I notice a few things from reading your post. First, everything you listed is made by Buffalo Trace and all but one is a wheated bourbon. You are also trending towards the older bourbons and often high proof. I am not sure if your list (PVW 15, PVW 20, GTS, Lot B, and 3 bottles of ORVW 15) is the best of what you have had, or simply what you have had (that makes a big difference when recommending where to go from here).
    It's the best of what I own. I have had many different bourbons. I also have Bulleit, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, and others. Not too crazy about the Bulleit, but really enjoy the Rare Breed and 4RSB. I haven't had any HH products yet.

Essentially the reason I started this thread was because I see all of these different bourbons everytime I go to the liquor store and never know which one to pick up. I was thinking if maybe I could get people to rank them some would consistently show up towards the top of everyone's list and I could start with those. If anything, I think the thread so far has shown me it really is all about each individual's taste.