Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Help a newb out...

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I also agree with Ben's addition of Weller 12 -- it's really great and if you can find it for around $25, it's well worth the price.
    I have found a store in Louisville that sells it for $29.99, but thought that it might be stretch at that price. Still worth it?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I have found a store in Louisville that sells it for $29.99, but thought that it might be stretch at that price. Still worth it?
    yeah, especially if you like Lot 'B' a lot . . . but it can be found for cheaper.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Essentially the reason I started this thread was because I see all of these different bourbons everytime I go to the liquor store and never know which one to pick up. I was thinking if maybe I could get people to rank them some would consistently show up towards the top of everyone's list and I could start with those.
    Ok, I'll play by the rules

1. Buffalo Trace (knocks the socks off more expensive bottles)
    2. Old Weller Antique (the best value wheater out there)
    3. Wild Turkey 101 (not as good as their other offerings, but solid)
    4. Evan Williams Single Barrel (best of HH, perhaps? pricey here @ $30)
    5. Four Roses Yellow Label (great for under $20)
    6. Elmer T. Lee (not my favorite, but solid)
    7. Old Grand Dad BIB (I greatly prefer the 114)
    8. Elijah Craig 12 (used to be my #1, now unreliable)
    9. Kentucky Vintage (never had it)
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    yeah, especially if you like Lot 'B' a lot . . . but it can be found for cheaper.
    I'll pick up a bottle then. I felt like I had read that some people didn't like the Weller 12 as much as OWA so I figured for $10 less OWA would be a better buy. Weller 12 might be my next purchase then. How does it compare to ORVW 10/107 for the same price?

I think this website might be the end of me, I want to buy 1,000's of bourbons and try them all!
    Last edited by nblair; 01-14-2010 at 08:15.

Virtuoso

I'll pick up a bottle then. I felt like I had read that some people didn't like the Weller 12 as much as OWA so I figured for $10 less OWA would be a better buy. Weller 12 might be my next purchase then. How does it compare to ORVW 10/107 for the same price?

I think this website might be the end of me, I want to buy 1,000's of bourbons and try them all!
    There is a lot of love for OWA because there is a lot of love for high proof bourbons here. It is basically Weller SR at 107 proof. If you find you like the higher proof more than I would go with OWA. If it is the complexity of an older bourbon, I would go with the weller 12.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    There is a lot of love for OWA because there is a lot of love for high proof bourbons here. It is basically Weller SR at 107 proof. If you find you like the higher proof more than I would go with OWA. If it is the complexity of an older bourbon, I would go with the weller 12.
    Yeah, what Ben said. Personally, I don't care for the ORVW 10/107 . . . it's good, but uninteresting, and at $40 I expect more . . . also, I've heard tell that a lot of the ORVW juice is from Bernheim rather than BT which is why it tastes so incredibly different from the Wellers, Lot 'B' & PVWs, but don't quote me on that.

Andy

Irreverent One

Tastes being subjective, your question has gotten a lot of different responses.

However, if it's true that you can get EWSB for under $25, then see if you can find some of the 2000 vintage. This is the first one since the 1995 that was made entirely within HH facilities, and IMNSHO is the best one since the 1995.

I started keeping an eye out for it after reading John Hansell's review. Some showed up in mid December. I bought one, brought it home, tried it, went back the next day and bought two more (Oregon price is $27.45).

Hansell's bottle came from BBL #1, mine from BBL #16.

I noticed an odd thing on the back label, however:

Barreled 10-7-09
    Barrel 16
    Bottled on 3-30-00

Which is probably an error, but it's fun to believe a young lady named Bright was involved.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 01-14-2010 at 09:57.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    However, if it's true that you can get EWSB for under $25, then see if you can find some of the 2000 vintage. This is the first one since the 1995 that was made entirely within HH facilities, and IMNSHO is the best one since the 1995.
    I am pretty sure the EWSB was at or around $25, it could of been a dollar or two higher. I will keep my eyes peeled for the 2000 vintage.

I am thinking I should go to Bourbons Bistro and just throw down about $75 to try a bunch of different inexpensive pours instead of picking up .750 bottles of everything. I tried to find some pints but those were nearly as much as the .750s.

Virtuoso

I am pretty sure the EWSB was at or around $25, it could of been a dollar or two higher. I will keep my eyes peeled for the 2000 vintage.

I am thinking I should go to Bourbons Bistro and just throw down about $75 to try a bunch of different inexpensive pours instead of picking up .750 bottles of everything. I tried to find some pints but those were nearly as much as the .750s.
    Any time you are down around Bowling Green, you are welcome to anything in my cabinet. But I have to admit, it is no where near as stocked as it was before my daughter was born.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I noticed an odd thing on the back label, however:

Barreled 10-7-09
    Barrel 16
    Bottled on 3-30-00

Which is probably an error, but it's fun to believe a young lady named Bright was involved.
    I have this same bottle. In fact I picked up 3 more after trying this one.
    Its funny how this barrel 16 was distributed across the whole US.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion