Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Talking New member from Des Moines, Iowa

I stumbled upon this site while looking for information on burbon. I have been enjoying burbon, scotch and anything else I can get my hands on for many years, but have never gotten into this sort of stuff until recently.

Anyway, I am a fan of quite a few burbons and scotches, but hate to list any. One thing I have noticed about these sort of sites is that people get very fired up about things, and spend a lot of time putting brands and such down for small issues, rather than just enjoying the spirit.

In any case, I would love to try some of these bottles that I have been reading about here. Some of the stuff sounds fantastic! I have to do a lot more research, but I am definitely glad to have found the site and forums. Some great information here.

Two favorite spirits:

Laphroaig (usually the 10 year or the small cask)

Maker's Mark (one that I now feel isn't "that great" after some of the bashing I have read here.... )

Anyway, glad to make your aquaintance.

Enthusiast

Re: New member from Des Moines, Iowa

Greetings! I'm another newbie from DSM. Not the easiest place to find a great selection but it can be done. I have been kicking around the idea of starting a whiskey club/group in DSM for awhile. I think it would be a great way to try some different things without buying 30 bottles (not that there is anything wrong with that). Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in starting or if you just want to meet for a drink sometime.

Advanced Taster

Ahh heck, anyone have a recommendation for me to try? Some of you from the area may be able to tell me what I can find. Not looking for anything TOO spendy at this time. Around $30-$50 would be a good place to start.

Also, I have a great local bar that I patronize that I can get good prices (retail, in a bar) to try some off the wall stuff, if they have it. I usually do Maker's for $5, and it is a nice, flriendly pour.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    Greetings! I'm another newbie from DSM. Not the easiest place to find a great selection but it can be done. I have been kicking around the idea of starting a whiskey club/group in DSM for awhile. I think it would be a great way to try some different things without buying 30 bottles (not that there is anything wrong with that). Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in starting or if you just want to meet for a drink sometime.
    If a club did get started, I would be interested. I'd imagine many would.

Let me know if anything happens with your idea.

Welcome to the site, I'm down here in the SW corner of of Iowa. I'm not a scotch fan can't find one I like yet but I'll keep trying. I don't think people put many brands down on here most of the time they try and find something good about just about anything. As for my self I only have about maybe 3 or 4 bourbons I won't drink. As for Makers Mark I think you you may have gotten the wrong impression there as well. There are a lot of MM fans on here, some think they just could do better they used to have a 101 proof version that people would like to see come back. Most people agree that wheater bourbon is best with more age and more proof. So they are not really bad mouthing MM they just think MM could do better with an older and higher proof version as well. Something along the line of Old Weller Antique 7/107 which I recommend you try if you can find it. And yes it's cheaper than MM. But a lot of people on here will tell you they got started drinking bourbon by drinking MM.

Don't be shy to tell us what you like no one is going to make fun of you for what your drinking unless your mixing it with grape kool-aid. It makes it easier to make recomendations if we know what direction your heading in. Have you tried any Rye whiskey yet? There are several very good ones of those. Any way enjoy the site, have fun, ask questions, post your opinions, make some new friends. Chat is Thursday and SUnday nights but is always open you never know when someone might be in there, it says on the opening page who is.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-14-2010 at 10:44.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Yeah, I guess I must have just run across a lot of MM threads where it was mostly negative. I know this is an "enthusiast" site, so that is to be expected. That was all I meant.

I will see if I can find a bottle (or a drink) of your recommendation around town. Thanks for the info.

Gonna have to write a sticky-note with brands I want to try out. Too many of them look similar or have 8 different bottlings for me to remember what I want to look for.

Advanced Taster

As far as Rye whiskey goes, I have had Templeton (another I have seen get just blasted on here in a few different threads) and the Rittenburg-bock-berg...something like that.

I like just about everything, when it comes to taste, in foods and spirits.

What I am really looking for is something I can get at a reasonable price while out on the town (MM is usually a decent price, and we seem to have it in about every bar in town). For instance, I was at a local brew pub last night, and they wanted $9.50 for Woodford's Reserve, neat.

That is just silly. I bet I could do better in a big town, than that.

So, what is a good one to look for in a bar? I see Wild Turkey a lot, but I doubt it is the "good" one. Honestly never tried much WT. Is it any good?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Inthewater View Post
    So, what is a good one to look for in a bar? I see Wild Turkey a lot, but I doubt it is the "good" one. Honestly never tried much WT. Is it any good?
    What is ironic (and quite comical, though you couldn't have known) is that you just asked perhaps the biggest Wild Turkey fan on the site if his drink of choice was any good.

But, yes, I think Wild Turkey 101 (red label, not gold 80 proof) is very good for the price at most bars and is almost always what I drink when out . . . there are some who would describe MM as a smoother or more refined pour, but not myself. I agree that the Woodford does seem overpriced, but that's around what it goes for in most places I have seen it.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

Ahh, well i have a knack for that sort of thing.

I wonder why he recommended Old Weller Antique rather than WT of some sort?

I'll have to check which WT they have up in the corner at my local watering hole. I'll try it regardless, but now I am curious.

Advanced Taster

As far as Scotch goes, here is a site that can really help...its sort of like this site, but more devoted to Scotch Whisky. Lots of great info and tasting reviews, etc.

http://www.maltmadness.com/beginners.html

I believe they have a forum community, as well.

I started drinking MM because I found out that Laphroaig uses MM barrels to age their scotch. Now, I think I like MM better. I am becoming a burbon guy. It just appeals to me more, i think, and doesn't have the same air of "snobbish-ness" that some scotch has, though all of this fancy burbon of late seems to be bringing the same sort of thing, as well as similar prices. Boo.