Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from Savannah, GA!

Greetings ya'll! Long-time lurker, finally decided to officially join. Love the site, it's an amazing resource for all things whisk(e)y related and I've spent a whole lotta time scrolling through the forums. My favorite bourbons at the moment are EWSB (love the 99, saw the 00 the other day, need to get it), BT, Woodford Reserve, and good ol' MM. Generally speaking, I like big, bold bourbons with a ton of caramel flavors (similar to my leaning towards big, bold
    red wines when i drink them). Other then the EWSB (which I think is liquid
    candy), does anyone have any suggestions along this line? Thanks in
    advance, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

Advanced Taster

Re: Hello from Savannah, GA!

Welcome from another newbie!

I am not a long-time lurker, though. Sounds like you are way ahead of me. So much to learn....and to drink!

Novice

Welcome right back atcha, Inthewater! Yeah I've been reading the forums for a few months now. It's really exciting and yet a bit depressing and overwhelming. I read about the dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of bourbons that are around and I want to try them all lol! Luckily I'm pretty young to start my bourbon "education" and have plenty of time ahead of my to taste!

Advanced Taster

I'm just glad I decided to try some other spirits besides the normal stuff that everyone likes.

I get dirty looks when our friends ask if we want a round of shots, and I ask for Jim Beam or Gentleman Jack while they all have jaeger bombs.

<shudder>

They just still don't get it.

Welcome to the site, EWSB is a nice bourbon.If you like a big bold bourbon give WT 101 a go round. If you like something more out on the edge give fighting cock a go. You like MM then try Old Weller Antique 7 /107 I guess it's not seven anymore though just 107 . They say it's still 7 yo but the label does say so anymore. Anyway sorry went off there, ask as many questions as you like, post your opinions, have some fun and make some new friends. You've been lurking so you know how this works have a good time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Greetings, I am originally from Savannah, too. I grew up on the East Side (Avondale), and later, Tybee Island, on Chimney Creek. Good to see you here.

Welcome to the site J. Hope you have a good time here. OGD 114 or some of the BIB bourbons are a few more recommendations if you like higher proof bourbons.

All the information here can be a bit overwhelming at times. Don't worry about information overload. Just soak in as much as you can, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Before you know it you'll be able to sort things out and find out where you fit in the grand scheme of things. At least for now. Things have a way of changing. When I first started here, everyone knew I liked wheaters and low rye bourbons. A couple of my friends here wondered if I was okay when I started buying ryes and high rye bourbons. It's all good!

Anyway, welcome again, and I hope you have a good time here. Enjoy and Cheers! Joe

By the way, I visited Savannah many, many years ago when I was a kid. My brother was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield/Fort Stewart, and my mom and I went down to see him. Savannah is a nice city. My brother took us to Savannah Beach, Fort Pulaski and a couple other places. He also took us to a restaurant where you could pick your lobster right out of the tank. First time I had ever seen that. Is the Pirates Cove still there?
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    By the way, I visited Savannah many, many years ago when I was a kid. My brother was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield/Fort Stewart, and my mom and I went down to see him. Savannah is a nice city. My brother took us to Savannah Beach, Fort Pulaski and a couple other places. He also took us to a restaurant where you could pick your lobster right out of the tank. First time I had ever seen that. Is the Pirates Cove still there?
    Could you be talking about the Pirate's House?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by livingincebu View Post
    Could you be talking about the Pirate's House?
    Just added that place to my "must see" next time in Georgia... that and TNBourbon and Georgia Mike....

Virtuoso

Welcome to the site! If you're looking for another bold bourbon with some caramel (and chocolate!) notes, I would very strongly recommend a bottle of Old Forester birthday bourbon 2007 if you can find one!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.