Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Times Rye

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Hard Times Rye

I'm sorry you took the "sucker" remark the wrong way too. To a cynic, anyone who does things the hard, honest way when there is a cheap, shoddy and easy alternative is a "sucker." In that context, since I am similarly a "sucker" as, I believe, are you, "sucker" is a badge of honor, not an insult. But again, I take full responsibility for my inability to express myself unambiguously.

I'll leave it at this because I think we're still talking past each other, even though we in fact seem to agree across the board, including your comments about Rogue.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'm sorry you took the "sucker" remark the wrong way too. To a cynic, anyone who does things the hard, honest way when there is a cheap, shoddy and easy alternative is a "sucker." In that context, since I am similarly a "sucker" as, I believe, are you, "sucker" is a badge of honor, not an insult. But again, I take full responsibility for my inability to express myself unambiguously.

I'll leave it at this because I think we're still talking past each other, even though we in fact seem to agree across the board, including your comments about Rogue.
    Peace, dude.

Aside on the Rogue "Dead Guy" whiskey. It's made from the same mashbill as "Dead Guy" ale. This is actually a decent beer. It's what's technically known as a maibock, and if you go check it out at www.beeradvocate.com, you'll see it gets pretty good reviews/ratings.

I've never had the whiskey, but I've received only negative reports from those who have. I'm really not sure how serious they are about it - it may be something they intend to stop making as soon as the novelty (and sales) wears off.

Dudley of Hard Times has tried it. We were discussing it the other day.

Dudley: It was very unimpressive. And they --as their hype machine puts it-- use free range water! No wonder it's so expensive [$40]. Imagine how many guys it takes to run around and catch that stuff.

Me: I suppose it depends on how tight the weave is on their nets.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-03-2010 at 13:47.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

I've had the Rogue whiskey and it's exactly like every other quicky, "look, I made whiskey," so-so malt whiskey from a brewer. Nothing special.

Trippah and Admin

I've had the beer (John John?) that they age in barrels from the Dead Guy whiskey and I found it to be nothing special, either. The disclaimer here is that I've not had a bourbon/whiskey barrel aged beer yet that blew my hair back.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I've had the beer (John John?) that they age in barrels from the Dead Guy whiskey and I found it to be nothing special, either. The disclaimer here is that I've not had a bourbon/whiskey barrel aged beer yet that blew my hair back.
    They are hard to find and though I've found a couple, I can never seem to find them again. I remember one night at Hopleaf in particular. Ah, the great beers we're pretty sure we've tasted.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Peace, dude.

Aside on the Rogue "Dead Guy" whiskey. It's made from the same mashbill as "Dead Guy" ale. This is actually a decent beer. It's what's technically known as a maibock, and if you go check it out at www.beeradvocate.com, you'll see it gets pretty good reviews/ratings.

I've never had the whiskey, but I've received only negative reports from those who have. I'm really not sure how serious they are about it - it may be something they intend to stop making as soon as the novelty (and sales) wears off.

Dudley of Hard Times has tried it. We were discussing it the other day.

Dudley: It was very unimpressive. And they --as their hype machine puts it-- use free range water! No wonder it's so expensive [$40]. Imagine how many guys it takes to run around and catch that stuff.

Me: I suppose it depends on how tight the weave is on their nets.
    "Dead Guy Ale" is one of my favorites. I almost always have it on hand.