Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Bourbon Sweet Potatoes

I would have tagged onto the old thread of Candied sweet Potatoes but its closed. My wife got this recipe for Bourbon sweet potatoes and we had it as a side dish tonight, it was excellent.

3 1/2 Pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
    1/2 Cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons Bourbon (We used Lot B)
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    3 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350º. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Add sugar and bourbon and toss to combine, season with salt and pepper. Bake until sweet potatoes are tneder and glazed. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes. Stir in butter before serving.

I will have to print up the Candied Sweet Potatoe recipe and see if its as good. Happy Thanksgiving all.

These were a hit with the whole family.
    Todd

Disciple

Re: Bourbon Sweet Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    what a coincidence. so did I.

Disciple

I would have tagged onto the old thread of Candied sweet Potatoes but its closed. My wife got this recipe for Bourbon sweet potatoes and we had it as a side dish tonight, it was excellent.

3 1/2 Pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
    1/2 Cup packed dark brown sugar
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    3 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350º. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Add sugar and bourbon and toss to combine, season with salt and pepper. Bake until sweet potatoes are tneder and glazed. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes. Stir in butter before serving.

I will have to print up the Candied Sweet Potatoe recipe and see if its as good. Happy Thanksgiving all.

These were a hit with the whole family.
    I must say that this dish sounds extremely sweet to me. Do you really eat it as a side dish together with the main dish Todd? When in Atlanta 1996 I did have mashed potato made of sweet potato. It was so sweet that that I couldn’t eat it and that was without sugar. This said I am well aware of the fact that the American cosine is much sweeter in general than the Swedish.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

We did eat it as a side dish. I have never considered myself as a person with a sweet tooth? But maybe I am? We only had small portions as there were many of us; I thought the flavor was excellent, not too sweet.
    These were made with White Sweet Potatoes which are not as sweet as Orange fleshed sweet potatoes or Yams?
    I have only had the "orange" sweet potatoes growing up, and when I brought these home and cut them open and saw they were white I thought I had made a mistake and bought the wrong thing but a quick internet search told me they were indeed sweet potatoes. That might have something to do with it?
    Todd

Disciple

These were made with White Sweet Potatoes which are not as sweet as Orange fleshed sweet potatoes or Yams?
    I have only had the "orange" sweet potatoes growing up, and when I brought these home and cut them open and saw they were white I thought I had made a mistake and bought the wrong thing but a quick internet search told me they were indeed sweet potatoes. That might have something to do with it?
    Yes Todd the ones I have tasted had orange flesh. I did not know there were white less sweet ones.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

I made these tonight, and while they're definitely sweet (as the name implies), they were delicious. I cut the recipe in half and it's a good thing I did because my wife and I probably would not of left the table until we downed all 3 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes.