Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Disciple

Johnny Drum Private Stock NAS

Does anybody know how old this whiskey is? I see a lot of them around with a 15 year sticker on it, but I've got 2 bottles with no age statement. Is it the same stuff? I would presume it's not.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Johnny Drum Private Stock NAS

Older aged whiskeys are in short supply among higher demand, so we see the trend of dropping the age statements. This has happened among many producers.

You can bet that the Johhny Drum with no age statement is a younger whiskey than the bottle with the 15 year old statement. IMHO, this might be a good thing - I did not care for the 15 YO.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Older aged whiskeys are in short supply among higher demand, so we see the trend of dropping the age statements. This has happened among many producers.

You can bet that the Johhny Drum with no age statement is a younger whiskey than the bottle with the 15 year old statement. IMHO, this might be a good thing - I did not care for the 15 YO.
    I thought this was probably the case. It's still pretty dark in color, so I'm guessing it's still around 10+ or so.

I do enjoy this quite a bit. At first I thought it may be a wheater, but I think I've been drinking too much rye lately.

Conclusion: Recommended

Disciple

I have had both and to be honest I did bay the no age of mistake, as I didnít notice the lack of the 15 years mark on the neck. I like the 15 very much. The no age did seem very young (4-6 years?) to me and not good at all.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    I have had both and to be honest I did bay the no age of mistake, as I didnít notice the lack of the 15 years mark on the neck. I like the 15 very much. The no age did seem very young (4-6 years?) to me and not good at all.

Leif
    Were they priced the same? I've never seen one with a 15 on it, and the NAS I got was $25. I would imagine a 15yr bourbon would cost a bit more than $25.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Were they priced the same? I've never seen one with a 15 on it, and the NAS I got was $25. I would imagine a 15yr bourbon would cost a bit more than $25.
    The NAS was 5-10 euro cheaper than the normal price for the 15 at that time. Also the 15 were more or less but not completely sold out at the moment and I had not seen the NAS at that time. Now the NAS is wildly availably and he 15 is impossible to find.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey