Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Spouse Stage Guide Book - or the 7 steps to bourbon'ing

I sort of derailing the "what did you have pass up thread", so I figured I would move the fun part over here...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    I went a little bourbon crazy with all the fall releases last year and my wife kind of gave me "the look" about slowing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    A lot of us know all about "the look" Rich. A pretty common occurrence around my household. Joe
    Ah yes..... Stage 1: The Look

Stage 1: The Look "huh?"
    Stage 2: The little comments "where are you going to put those?"
    Stage 3: More direct comments "you'll never drink all of that!" & "Dusty hunting... what?"
    Stage 4: Concerned for your safety "what do you mean your going to go to a function with people you met on line!!???"
    Stage 5: Confusion "There are others worst than you?"
    Stage 6: Acceptance "Well, they are nice people and it is just a hobby"
    Stage 7: Concede, resign, and surrender "OK, you can buy as much as you want. This stuff is great!!! And you should start planning for those two trips to Kentucky and the one down to Houston. Cannot wait to go meet everyone again"

I have not gotten through Stage 6 completely... but I am trying hard

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    You're way ahead of me Em...I'm somewhere between stage 2 and 3...she doesn't know exactly how much I have so I haven't gotten the comment of you'll never drink all that. I have gotten the "spending more money on bourbon?" comment though! I think I've found my way around that though...the answer is to trade or buy from independent people so she doesn't see the Binny's receipt or debit on my account! I've now gone 8 days without buying anything from Binny's...my goal is to only buy on their quarterly sale day! Somehow I'm not sure I'll make it to the next one in May!
    Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post
    Emerald,

I went through stage 1-6 OCT 2008 - 1 JAN 2009.

Stage 1/2: Came back from Iraq to a bunch of Bourbon I bought online (OCT 08)
    Stage 3: When I had to move from a two shelf closet to a bookshelf full of bourbon. (DEC 08)
    Stage 4: Driving down to AZ on my way to TX (DEC 08)
    Stage 5: When we walked into your bunker (DEC 31, 08)
    Stage 6: Jan 1, 2009 as we are driving away from Vail AZ

Still waiting on Stage 7, however Jen is going to Houston with me so maybe I will complete stage 7 in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    I am at stage 7. The wife and I just did our 2nd at home blind tasting of 4 different bourbons last night. We both got all correct. She is excited about the Houston trip. She knows there are people worse than me, but has only met Mozilla. She's thinks he's got a bourbon buying problem. Wait till she meets some of you. Although we cannot afford to buy anymore bourbon as of right now, she has not told me to stop. That was my decision.
    ...and Don, as long as you still think you're in cotrol, that is what counts

Guru

Re: Spouse Stage Guide Book - or the 7 steps to bourbon'ing

Emerald,

I went through stage 1-6 OCT 2008 - 1 JAN 2009.

Stage 1/2: Came back from Iraq to a bunch of Bourbon I bought online (OCT 08)
    Stage 3: When I had to move from a two shelf closet to a bookshelf full of bourbon. (DEC 08)
    Stage 4: Driving down to AZ on my way to TX (DEC 08)
    Stage 5: When we walked into your bunker (DEC 31, 08)
    Stage 6: Jan 1, 2009 as we are driving away from Vail AZ

Still waiting on Stage 7, however Jen is going to Houston with me so maybe I will complete stage 7 in May.

Jason,
    That was truly the crash course for any spouce.

In truth, you may have partially gone through Stage 1-6, but you will revisit many of them... just wait until you bunker hits 50, 100, 250 etc hahaha....

I am not sure it is possible to truly finish all of the stages permanently

Virtuoso

HAHAHAHA! Tracy and I just read through these and cracked up. Even though she LIKES whiskey, we definitely are working on some of these stages (namely 6 and 7....)

edit: although honestly? 6 isn't a problem, Tracy is already used to me meeting strange people online... She's been dragged to forum meets before.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 01-17-2010 at 14:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

I am stuck in a revolving cycle of stages 1 thru 4.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Disciple

Great Thread! As I'm still a youngin'.

My Two Cents:

I stick to the 1-12 rule. Every 12 bottles of bourbon I buy, a bottle of cognac/brandy goes on the shelf for the lady.

Guru

I'm definitely at 6 but don't think she'll ever join me on a bourbon trip. I've gone to KY with her blessing and I've pretty much purchased what I want within reason.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

You are right Em. After letting my wife read this thread, I am delusional!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    You are right Em. After letting my wife read this thread, I am delusional!
    You let the wife read the site? You have learned nothing.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Those of you who know Bernadette know that I'm at stage 7. Example: Last night was her turn to choose a whisk(e)y and she picked BT. She's still not real fond of ER so I "forced " myself to drink some of that. I know her tastes and I keep her away form wheaters except for MM and Old Fitz, which she likes. When she tells me she likes PVW and Weller I guess I'll have her completely converted. I had to do the same thing with malts. She detested Laphroaig, and didn't like Lagavulin and Ardbeg until we went to Islay. Going on distillery tours and sampling afterwords is a great way to convert your wife.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post

Jason,
    That was truly the crash course for any spouce.

In truth, you may have partially gone through Stage 1-6, but you will revisit many of them... just wait until you bunker hits 50, 100, 250 etc hahaha....

I am not sure it is possible to truly finish all of the stages permanently

Very True Em!

You could turn this thread into a book, each chapter detailing the story of a member's journey through the steps.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion