Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Greetings from southern Indiana

Glad to have found this site. Relatively new to the bourbon world and thought I could learn a lot here. My friend turned me on to Woodford Reserve and recently our gathering turned into a bourbon tasting party. We tasted 14 different samples that night and I realized I've got a lot to learn. Looking forward to digging in.

Enthusiast

Re: Greetings from southern Indiana

Welcome to the site! This Link is great if you are looking to experience some great, affordable bourbon.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

Welcome iudoc! glad to see another member from the Old Country. Where in Southern IN are you at?

What other bourbons did you taste at the party? Which did you like and not like?

Anyway, good to have you aboard. Post early and often!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Welcome... you have some Bourbon brethern up in your neck of the woods. Birdman1099 has a cage full of great juice to dip into...

Virtuoso

Not quite a full cage......

welcome aboard.....

Am I to assume you have been to the Firefly in Evansville.....

Post away and start soaking in all the knowledge.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Novice

Thanks for the welcomes everybody. The bourbon party was a great chance to try several. If I remember right I believe 1792 took over as my favorite (Woodford until then). Blantons was very good and Knob Hill? not sure that's the right name. THe higher proof bourbons were not for me..too medicinal is how I would describe them. We had a bourbon magazine and tasted then read the reviews. I have a friend who lives just down the road from Heaven Hill and he is going to pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year for me to try. Looking forward to more. Thanks again.
    I am in Jasper which is about 1 1/2 hours from Louisville.
    Cheers,
    Scott

Bourbon favorites so far: WR; 1792; Maker's Mark; Maker's 46; EC 18; Four Roses Small Batch; WR French Lick Select; more to come

Virtuoso

Welcome Scott! You won't find any finer folk on a site than here. Always interesting, educating & helpful.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Welcome Scott! You won't find any finer folk on a site than here. Always interesting, educating & helpful.
    Indeed!

I have been to Jasper, but it's been over 20 years ago. When I was a kid, my parents decided to take us on cheap somewhat educational vacations. So we drove down from Indianapolis to Jasper and stayed a couple nights and the Holiday Inn Holidome there. We went to Holiday World, Marengo Cave, and a few other places around there. It was a fun trip. It was a few years before the infamous escape of Adolf the Alligator from the zoo portion of Holiday World.

Anyway, enough of my life story...The "Knob" bourbon you tried was probably Knob Creek. I dig it, but I don't buy it very often. Sounds like you're off to a great start, though. Enjoy the journey, and be sure to take advantage of the well-stocked bunkers in your vacinity, Scott!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Welcome to SB Scott. I take it that from your screen name, you may have graduated from the IU School of Medicine in 97? Go Big Red! Originally from Indianapolis myself. My sister went to IU, as did her sons. I chose the Army. Anyway, welcome to the site. As a couple of folks already mentioned, there are some other members not too far away. Plus, you're only an hour and a half away from bourbon country. You got it made in the shade Doc. Keep checking out stuff on the site, and if you can find time, head down to Kentucky and check out The Bourbon Trail. Most of the distilleries have tours available. It's well worth visiting a few distilleries for fun, and education too. There are also a few bourbons available down there that you pretty much can't get elsewhere. Hope you enjoy it here. Cheers. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Indeed!

I have been to Jasper, but it's been over 20 years ago. When I was a kid, my parents decided to take us on cheap somewhat educational vacations. So we drove down from Indianapolis to Jasper and stayed a couple nights and the Holiday Inn Holidome there. We went to Holiday World, Marengo Cave, and a few other places around there. It was a fun trip. It was a few years before the infamous escape of Adolf the Alligator from the zoo portion of Holiday World.

Anyway, enough of my life story...The "Knob" bourbon you tried was probably Knob Creek. I dig it, but I don't buy it very often. Sounds like you're off to a great start, though. Enjoy the journey, and be sure to take advantage of the well-stocked bunkers in your vacinity, Scott!
    It has been a long time ago but not much has changed. Holiday World is now lots bigger with Splashin' Safari Water Park and 3 of the top wooden rollercoasters in the U.S. The Holidome is still there although now it is the Jasper Inn. We have a couple of more stop lights, a Walmart (but who doesn't) and a Home Depot! Thanks for the welcome.
    Cheers,
    Scott

Bourbon favorites so far: WR; 1792; Maker's Mark; Maker's 46; EC 18; Four Roses Small Batch; WR French Lick Select; more to come