Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,704

    TTB labeling regs in brief

    I found a nice consumer "know what you're buying" PDF on the TTB site.

    http://www.ttb.gov/pdf/brochures/p51902.pdf


    The examples and definitions under class/type are interesting.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  2. #2
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    The vodka definition cracks me up. "Whithout distinctive character..." Put it in a fancy bottle, and a vodka drinker will beg to differ.

  3. #3
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,704

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    The vodka definition cracks me up. "Whithout distinctive character..." Put it in a fancy bottle, and a vodka drinker will beg to differ.
    I love chatting with vodka drinkers and mentioning the regs.

    They swear up, down and sideways that they can tell the difference. Keep in mind that most of them consume the vodka as a mixed drink where any subtleties that may exist are surely masked.

    Marketing is king.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    35

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I love chatting with vodka drinkers and mentioning the regs.

    They swear up, down and sideways that they can tell the difference. Keep in mind that most of them consume the vodka as a mixed drink where any subtleties that may exist are surely masked.

    Marketing is king.
    I've heard (not from experience, as I don't buy any vodka "nicer" than Smirnoff) that the quality of the water that goes into the vodka can account for a lot of the differences. Also, the more "refined" the initial distilled spirit was, the better it could make it, but I can only see this up to a certain point.

    If anyone's willing to send me a hundred bucks worth of Grey Goose/Van Gogh/Ciroc/Etc., I'll give it a shot.

  5. #5
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    Scott, I think what you said is arguable even for neat sampling - done blind I think it would cause difficulties for many brand loyalists.

    It is possible the water component does play a large role, Chuck argued this once and it is starting to sink in that this may be right.

    The differences are there but they are quite minimal. It may be too that only the very cheapest brands can be distinguished - even then I'm not sure though.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    By the way I once did an informal tasting (blind) of 4 well-known brands - I liked Grey Goose the least and I think Ketel One came out on top with Smirnoff and Absolut in the middle. I'd like to try this again, tasting a group of brands in the same kind of glass, at the same temperature (fridge cool, say). It would be interesting but after one sip of each I believe you couldn't continue in any meaningful way. The palate is just too dulled by the alcohol. And so what's the point then, it's a zero-sum game... Still, I know people have their favorites and I respect that. I do because sometimes very small differences are detectable and people can sense them when familiar with a certain brand - at least, when drunk neat. But how many people drink vodka neat (no ice or water)?

    Gary

  7. #7
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    35

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    By the way I once did an informal tasting (blind) of 4 well-known brands - I liked Grey Goose the least and I think Ketel One came out on top with Smirnoff and Absolut in the middle. I'd like to try this again, tasting a group of brands in the same kind of glass, at the same temperature (fridge cool, say). It would be interesting but after one sip of each I believe you couldn't continue in any meaningful way. The palate is just too dulled by the alcohol. And so what's the point then, it's a zero-sum game... Still, I know people have their favorites and I respect that. I do because sometimes very small differences are detectable and people can sense them when familiar with a certain brand - at least, when drunk neat. But how many people drink vodka neat (no ice or water)?

    Gary

    Russians and college students.

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    549

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    The only difference in vodka taste that I have been able to tell is, what it is made from (wheat, grapes, etc).

    I have an example of a bar that I know serves 750ml Grey Goose vodka for $225.00 per bottle for their V.I.P. room and everyone is sold that Grey Goose is the best vodka ever.

    ONLY ONE PROBLEM THE VODKA THEY ARE GETTING IS SMIRNOFF RED.
    Dave

    The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

    Kentucky Bourbon!!

  9. #9
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    But how many people drink vodka neat (no ice or water)?
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinWreck007 View Post
    Russians and college students.
    Can I quote you on that?

    Plus they don't keep in their mouth long enough to taste it, anyway.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  10. #10
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,564

    Re: TTB labeling regs in brief

    Water is part of it and filtering is another part. The main difference between cheap vodka and better vodka is the charcoal filtering.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Truth in labeling
    By MikeK in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 21:02
  2. TTB Label Applications
    By mozilla in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 11:17
  3. Labeling and reading it
    By Nebraska in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 20:06
  4. New Scotch Labeling Rules Proposed
    By cowdery in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 09:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top