Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Maker's Mark Price Drop

There is an ad running in two of KY's newspapers, written (supposedly) by Bill Samuels.

You donít need 20/20 vision right now to see that times are tough. For all of us. Whether youíre an executive of a blue-chip corporation or a convenience store bagger, everyone is doing whatever they can to cut back and stay afloat.

As we all know, the government has had its hands full with the unenviable job of digging us out of this serious
economic recession. And, as we all know, itís not going to be a quick fix. But Iíve never been one who enjoys
watching the action from the sideline. So, I thought Iíd try to lend a hand.

Many of you may have noticed a tax hike that went into effect not too long ago. It was an increase in Kentuckyís
alcoholic beverage tax. Some may say that it wasnít such a big deal. But Iíd hate to see a tax hike keep
people from enjoying their favorite bourbon.

And now, to my point.

For the first time ever, weíre lowering the price of Makerís Markģ for our retailers in the amount of six percent. Which coincidentally is also the exact amount of the tax hike. Weíve encouraged all of our retail
 partners to pass these savings on to you, our friends.

Which means the next time youíre out visiting your favorite liquor store, youíll have the chance to thank
them for passing their savings along to you.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Maker's Mark Price Drop

Oh, crap. I can hear the bellyaching beginning, already.

It'll probably go something like: "Just another insincere chapter from that Evil Maker's Mark Marketing Group." Or, "A thinly veiled attempt to trick us into buying more Maker's Mark." And, "I'd have more respect for them if they just put the whiskey in an unmarked Ball jar, cancel are advertising, and justify the lower price through real packaging savings...Blah, blah, blah..."

Heck, I don't need more bourbon, and the decrease isn't going to help me down here in Georgia, but I'm gonna go buy a bottle of MM today. Dang, I'm easy...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Actually, while it's not going to make me go out and pick up some Maker's anytime soon (or likely until they up the proof, age it longer, etc.), I think it's kind of cute: Not only does the customer pay 6% less, but the taxman gets 6% less. Make the customer happy and stick it to the guys who you were opposed to in the first place.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Not only does the customer pay 6% less, but the taxman gets 6% less. Make the customer happy and stick it to the guys who you were opposed to in the first place.
    Now you're talking my language. Though, I'm sure they decided it was a sound business decision to drop the price. Perhaps they thought, especially in these financial times, the price point was positioned a bit too high. But yeah, anytime greedy government gets their comeuppance it makes me smile.

Is this price drop nationwide, or just in Kentucky? Nothing on the MM website about this at all. I think MM is a decent bourbon. I'll always have some on hand. Still, this is the kind of of thing that makes you go "Hmmmmmmm". Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

That's pretty cool. Of all the brands out there you'd expect the one that used (or maybe still uses...) the tag line "It tastes expensive... and is." to be the last brand to do something like this.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It is cool. I applaud them for it. But, it is an interesting move from a brand management standpoint. Wandering minds might wonder if this is simply an isolated move, or is it part of a Beam bigger-picture plan for the brand and their other brands.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

Bill Samuels came out strongly against the tax increase before it took affect April 1st and I'm glad to see him taking an active approach against it still.

I find Makers to be a very enjoyable pour, and most likely will pick another bottle up soon as a thank you to their gesture. Regardless of their motives, it's a great business move.

Advanced Taster

How much has it been normally? I wonder if Liquor Barn has lowered the price.

The biggest thing, to me, is the uncoupling of Maker's Mark's price to that of Jack Daniel's. For quite a number of years -- in our market, anyway -- Maker's Mark deliberately and openly wanted to compete, pricewise, with JD. They even requested side-by-side placement with JD. That seemed ironically appropriate, to me, since both are way overpriced, in my opinion, for young-to-middling-aged whiskies.
    Anyway, at $25, a 6% reduction is a $1.50 decrease, which (presumably) Jack Daniel's will not take. It's almost as if MM has decided to float its 'currency' on the open market.