Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

Old Grand-dad 86 proof I. D.

I was on some business an hour and a half up the coast in Hyuga yesterday. While waiting (15min.) for the train, I saw a liquor store across the street and went in to check it out. They didn't have much, but I found two bottles of OGD 86 with a label I didn't recognize. In fact, the front label was about to come off one of the bottles.

Anyway, I bought them. I did a google search to find a match for the label, but the only thing that matched was an ad in a May 1963 newspaper. I found that the HKDNP stamped on the front stands for Hong Kong, duty not paid. I guess the Chinese do that to mark goods as smuggled if they show up on the mainland. But I'm starting to wonder if it's actually Chinese counterfeit OGD that ended up getting smuggled into Japan. The label claims "distilled and bottled under supervision of the government of the United States of America"

Looks a little fishy to me, anybody know anything about this label. The cap is plastic and except for the color, looks like the cap on the OGD BIB produced today. The bottle is marked

750 ml . .. .. . . . 21

On the bottom, I see:

10 (00) 93

5|9 6 H-I

Any and all ideas as to what's going on here are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by edo; 02-23-2010 at 18:03.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Virtuoso

Re: Old Grand-dad 86 proof I. D.

that's the ND UPC. could you post a picture of the bottom of the bottle? the "bunt" mark, or maker's mark, on the glass will show where it was made. doubt a fake would use a bottle that ND was ACTUALLY using. for that matter, I doubt it's a fake. too much trouble, unless fake bourbon bottles were popular in japan?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

EDO, it does say imported on the neckband so that makes me think it was a "for export only" bottling. The label is similar to current labels but enough differences to predate it to the current labeling. The 750 ml volume was instituted in the early 70's I think. The actual date is in the forums somewhere, I seem to recall a discussion on that. Could be you have found an OGD dusty that probably has an interesting story to tell. Just wild guesses on my part, I'd be fibbing if I claimed I actually knew anything.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Virtuoso

Thumbs down Re: Old Grand-dad 86 proof I. D.

Here are pics of the bottom. The first three are from one, the last one is from the other. I think the only difference between them is where the first one has a 6 the other has a 16.

How do you read these things?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

I'm gonna call it a National Distillers edition from 199. Right before Beam bought the brand
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I'm gonna call it a National Distillers edition from 199. Right before Beam bought the brand
    Pre-Beam would be prior to 1987 (according to Col. Cowdery's book.) Erich (or anybody), is that the ND bunt mark on the bottom? And the other numbers- I was guessing 93 might be the year and H-I meant Hong Kong import. How do you read that stuff?

Virtuoso

Ah, crap, my bad... I was thinking UD.

Your right, beam bought OGD in the mid 80's.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.