Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redmond\Seattle

tophertg

Redmond\Seattle

Hello,

I stumbled across this forum a few days ago. A recent trip to Bourbon and Branch in San Francisco introduced me to several new bourbons I had never seen in my local liquor store and I've been trying to find new things to taste since.

I've been searching the forum for the questions below, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

- Any bars in western Washington that have a good selection of bourbon? I really like to try a glass of something before I buy an entire bottle. ZigZag has a pretty good list, I'm trying to find others.

- Any recommendations for web sites to order from? dandm.com had no problem shipping spirits. But others have been hit or miss. It sounds like the law for WA has just changed.

- Anyone buy "collectable" bottles from eBay? (As in drink their contents even though eBay makes sellers say it's not intended to be consumed)

(PS, any like minded software engineers in the area?)

Connoisseur

Re: Redmond\Seattle

Welcome to SB from a fellow Washingtonian! I live in Issaquah.
    FX McRorys near Qwest has a good selection of Bourbons.
    The liqour stores here with the best selections are usually the store on 4th Ave just south of the Stadiums and the 12th and Pine store in Seattle.
    As far as mail order goes its illegal to ship to WA State and has been for quite a while. So if you've found a business willing to ship your lucky.

Todd

Advanced Taster

Greetings! I live in Ballard myself. I also LOVED Bourbon and Branch. They had the 25 yr Chocolate Monster Willett when I went, well worth the 25$ pour! There are many great bars in Seattle, and there are many bars that have an amazing selection, but not too many that are both of those.

ZigZag is WAYYYYY overpriced. They want 25$ a pour for the BTAC. But they have the largest selection of Willett releases in the city. I have the second

Rob Roy in Belltown has a good selection, also overpriced.

Liberty in Capitol hill has an amazing selection, prices are decent for most of the stuff, and they do know their bourbon.

Whiskey Bar in Belltown has a giant selection, and the prices are quite good.

My personal favorite is Olivers Twist on Greenwood Ave, in Phinney Ridge. Go mon/thurs/sat/sun when Robert is working. He is a bourbon/rye lover. I have helped amass one of the better selections of bourbon in the city at Olivers Twist. Their prices are great, and the atmosphere is great. Try some of the cocktails too... amazing.

Jake

tophertg

Excellent, I didn't know of any of these places. Thanks very much for the info!

I've been meaning to make a trip to the legendary 4th ave store, I didn't know about the 12th. All I know is the Redmond store never seems to have what I want

Welcome to SB. Looks like you have a few new "neighbors" already. Hope you enjoy your bourbon experience here. Cheers. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    Welcome to SB from a fellow Washingtonian! I live in Issaquah.
    FX McRorys near Qwest has a good selection of Bourbons.
    The liqour stores here with the best selections are usually the store on 4th Ave just south of the Stadiums and the 12th and Pine store in Seattle.
    As far as mail order goes its illegal to ship to WA State and has been for quite a while. So if you've found a business willing to ship your lucky.

Are you certain it's illegal to ship to WA? I order beer from online all the time to my WA address and I just did my first bourbon purchase from www.thewinecellaronline.com as well. I've yet to have an issue with it and I'm pretty sure most people ship to WA.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Odiedog52 View Post
    Are you certain it's illegal to ship to WA? I order beer from online all the time to my WA address and I just did my first bourbon purchase from www.thewinecellaronline.com as well. I've yet to have an issue with it and I'm pretty sure most people ship to WA.
    Yes, quite illegal. The places get around it by lawyer speak on their shipping policy.

Novice

I live in Ballard, work in Redmond as a software engineer, and am a big bourbon fan. Tophertg (or any other locals), I'd be up for getting together for a drink and chat sometime if you are interested. None of my other friends share my bourbon obsession, though they are happy to try my recommendations when we hang out.

My wife and I love the selection at Olivers Twist and were just there last Saturday. They are only the second bar I have found in the pacific northwest that has Four Roses (the other one was Park Kitchen in Portland). Robert is a great bartender and I got to try the ER 17 to see how it compares to ER 10 which is one of our favorites. It was not but not worth 3x the price - I'd rather have 3 bottles of ER 10.

I didnt know about the good selections at the other bars that sgtgto mentioned, but its good to hear there are others. Nice to know that I'm already frequenting the best of the bunch.

I have had good success ordering bourbons that I cant get in state liquor stores from www.centralliquors.com and www.wineandliquordepot.com as well as the "collectible" bottles on EBay. One of the Ebay collectors can regularly get the BTAC selections at a good price and I have used him a couple of times to get a bottle of George Stagg.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by HiroProtagonist View Post
    I live in Ballard, work in Redmond as a software engineer, and am a big bourbon fan. Tophertg (or any other locals), I'd be up for getting together for a drink and chat sometime if you are interested. None of my other friends share my bourbon obsession, though they are happy to try my recommendations when we hang out.

My wife and I love the selection at Olivers Twist and were just there last Saturday. They are only the second bar I have found in the pacific northwest that has Four Roses (the other one was Park Kitchen in Portland). Robert is a great bartender and I got to try the ER 17 to see how it compares to ER 10 which is one of our favorites. It was not but not worth 3x the price - I'd rather have 3 bottles of ER 10.

I didnt know about the good selections at the other bars that sgtgto mentioned, but its good to hear there are others. Nice to know that I'm already frequenting the best of the bunch.

I have had good success ordering bourbons that I cant get in state liquor stores from www.centralliquors.com and www.wineandliquordepot.com as well as the "collectible" bottles on EBay. One of the Ebay collectors can regularly get the BTAC selections at a good price and I have used him a couple of times to get a bottle of George Stagg.

Cheers!
    Welcome to the site, We have official chat nights here Thursday's and Sundays but some one is in most every night especially Fri and Sat. So if your looking for friends to chat bourbon with stop in.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Welcome to SB Andrew! Small world as you are right across the bridge from me(I'm in Magnolia). This place is awesome and I've learned so much from reading all the varied posts. Stop bye chat sometime and say hi.