Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 2/10: Ezra Brooks-Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel

It's getting a bit harder to come up with ideas for a BOTM. What few suggestions I've received were for bourbons that have already been BOTM. I was having a tough time picking one for this month till I received a package in the mail yesterday. I was gifted a couple of bottles of Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel by a fellow SBer. Since this hasn't been BOTM before, the BOTM for this month is Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel.

Putting my own two cents in here, I like this bourbon. It's pretty darn tasty. Nosing this bourbon, I get some smoke. There's some smoke in the taste too, along with a bit of a medicinal alcohol/cloves flavor, and a slight cinnamon flavor that reminds me of Dentyne gum. The finish is not overpowering, but it's no pushover either. No burn, just a very satisfying warming that lingers a while, as does the taste. For me this 99 proofer hits a nice spot.

So, let's hear your opinions. Let us know what you think. Cheers, and happy posting.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Irreverent One

Re: BOTM 2/10: Ezra Brooks-Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel

I've never tried it.

It's always been my understanding that, at least since it became a David Sherman/Luxco brand, it's juice purchased from Heaven Hill. I suspect HH keeps the better 12yo stuff for themselves (putting it into EC 12), and that the Ezra wouldn't be as good as HH's own label.

Oregon prices are:

EC 12: $23.45
    EB 12: $25.95

From my perspective, $26 will get me a better bourbon (EC 12) plus two Snickers bars.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 02-11-2010 at 15:00.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

I've had a few bottles, but not for a few years. It's what got me started buying the other 2 Ezra Brooks labels. I really like the OE101, as you may have noticed.

I was searching around on numerous online stores, and as usual, none that carry it, will ship to Maryland. I'm not quite sure why I can get the other 2 locally and not the SB. I've asked plenty of places.

Connoisseur

I like this bourbon pretty well. I'll buy it occaisionally. But it's not nearly as interesting as its predecessor the 15 year old.
    Craig

Guru

For the money, this is one of the best bourbons usually available at the PALCB. It probably won't be long before they close this one out.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

I really enjoy the Ezra B 12 SB, it has a very unique flavor. And no it doesn't taste anything like EC12 which I hate. So give this one a try.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    So, let's hear your opinions. Let us know what you think. Cheers, and happy posting.
    Honestly, I'm very surprised this one hasn't been a BotM before-- For the Money (key phrase), I have a hard time finding something I like better. Used to be 1792, before that went up in price here in PA (now about $30).

Anyway, I just bought a new bottle of this stuff. I remember doing a review a few years ago, and that the most prominent note in the nose was Butterscotch-- not just a generic caramel, but a distinctive note of Butterscotch.

In terms of texture, I believe it is quite refined. It may not have the depth and complexity of Blanton's or most of the other premium products from Frankfort, but most of them are significantly more expensive, anyway.

Seeing has how my income is down this year, thus limiting the number of BTAC and Blanton's bottles I can purchase, I think this, and Rebel Reserve (owned by Luxco, whom also owns the Ezra Brooks label), will be more frequently-renewed in my collection.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Guru

I'd echo the comments from Joe and others about Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel. Wonderfully rich and complex.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Irreverent One

Well, heck. Joe, if you "re-gift" one of those bottles to me, I'm sure I'll find something good to say about it.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

I went thru a bottle of this a few years ago, around '05 or '06.
    I can't knock it.
    ovh