Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: BOTM 2/10: Ezra Brooks-Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel

Yeah, I have to agree with Josh,
    this ones a good un. Lots of flavor and and sweet, nutty caramel taste.
    A bit of untamed raw rye burn, but nice at the same time. I put it right there with ET Lee, but sweeter, and a bit hotter and bolder. A great bourbon for the money...

Apprentice

Not sure I've ever seen this in the Knoxville area. If any in the area have, point me in the right direction and I'll certainly give it a try!
    Dave K.

"Time Flies whether you're having fun or not."
    Or, as Kermit the Frog would say after a pour or two: "Time is fun when you are having flies!"

Taster

I liked this bourbon the minute it hit my tongue. I feel it is one of the better if not best of the rye flavor mid shelf bourbons available today. I can only speak of the 08-05 bottling that I have and find them (Have four) very enjoyable. Just a great mouth feel. almost creamy. Very respectful finish. Just plain good. Can't even think of a close competitor to it that has the same "specks" . I also have one 15yr and am looking for a back up or an occasion to crack it open. That's how fond I am of the 12yr from 2005.
    Last edited by dustyj; 06-26-2010 at 21:27.

Taster

Knew were there was a 09 version and went to pick it up today. My bottle is from barrel 351 on 01-09. Not even close to the 05 I had. First it was decidedly lighter in color. Upon opening the sweetness stands out. Not much wood here. Lots of Carmel like sweetness in the nose and reminded me instantly of Old Ezra 101 7y. I detect a little OF 100, like some have described as a "medicinal" taste. Not near the finish probably due to the absence of the fine oak finish the other had. I can only assume that by looking at the 05 next to my 00 15y that their taste profiles will be closer.

Connoisseur

Just picked up a bottle today at the state store. I had just eaten dinner so I'm sure that had some effect on the flavor. I just poured off a shot and started sipping. Right away the deepness of the flavor impressed me. The higher proof also appeals to me and seems to keep more of the flavor intact. I was trying to find that "Heaven Hill flavor" in it but couldn't. To me it tasted totally unique and had an excellent mouth feel and finish. I'll have to give this a few more tastings to make up my mind about it, but at this point I'm happy with it. I'm assuming this is Heaven Hill Bernheim bourbon???
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I'm assuming this is Heaven Hill Bernheim bourbon???
    No (do the math).

I've wondered where the currrent (bottled in 2009 or 2010) product was made. I expect we'll never know.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

So was it still made by or under the supervision of Heaven Hill or could it be from basically anywhere?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

So was it still made by or under the supervision of Heaven Hill or could it be from basically anywhere?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

What's so funny?

Guru

What's so funny?
    Not laughing at you, just struck me funny. Check out the Whiskey Trails thread. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=13585
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog