Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare 10 Year Old

Tonight I went out with my friends for a night of wonderful Kansas City barbecue, pistol shooting, and a few drinks (in that order...). Many of my friends thought they didn't like bourbon. I brought a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year old for the post-firearm festivities. Well, after sipping on the Eagle Rare 10 year old, they are now converts. Mind you, these guys haven't had a taste of bourbon since their self-induced illness episodes in high school. So they are not experienced with bourbon at all.

Here are a few of their comments:
    Every one of them said "This stuff is smoooooooooth!"
    A few of them said, "I smell burnt sugar."
    One said, "I smell vanilla too."
    One of them said, "How come this stuff doesn't burn like Jack Daniels?"
    They all wanted to know how much it was and where they could get it.

When we departed, they all said they were going to hit the liquor stores on the way home to pick up a bottle. Three of them telephoned me afterwords to tell me they had scored (found a bottle) and were enjoying it as we spoke.

This is a very good bourbon and one to keep in mind if you want to introduce (convert) rookies to the pleasures of the American spirit.

Bill

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Eagle Rare 10 Year Old

Bill I've not had the pleasure of tasting Eagle Rare, but I do love burning powder & launching lead. Being left handed I find revolvers are best for me. My favorite is my S&W 686 .357 Magnum, but I did succumb to the charms of a S&W Performance Center 945. She's a real sweetie! What do you shoot?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Advanced Taster

Linn,
    What bourbon do you think goes best with the sweet aroma of Hoppes No. 9?

Those are nice pistols you have! I've had several 686's ...... friends keep buying them from me, but I always seem to pick up another. I've not had the pleasure to shoot a 945, but it's on my list.

I usually shoot the following pistols: Browning BuckMark Target 5.5, Browning HighPower .40, Colt 1911A1, Colt Combat Commander, CZ52, Glock 21, Glock 30, High Standard HD Military, E. German Makarov, or S&W CS40 (semi-auto Chief's Special). I'm also nuts about Winchester shotguns (I have 5 of them....).

If you make it to the Bourbon Festival next year, maybe we can find a local range and throw some lead.

Bill

**DONOTDELETE**

Bill I prefer Shooter's Choice to Hoppes, however since gun solvent is so aromatic a good strong cheap bourbon is called for...hmmm...how about J.W. Dant 100 proof Bottled In Bond?

I do love a Winchester model 21! I'll never have one of thoes gorgeous guns. What are they selling for now? Twenty - thirty grand?

Linn Spencer

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There is an interesting range near Bardstown where you can shoot pretty much anything you want. It's called Fort Knox.

--Chuck Cowdery

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Isn't missionary work fun?

--Chuck Cowdery

Advanced Taster

AMEN! Brother Cowdery!

**DONOTDELETE**

There is a gun range in Bullitt County. They have a machinegun shoot every year about the same time as the festival. I have a friend who goes every year if you are interested, I can get further information the next time I see him.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

Mike said... They have a machinegun shoot every year about the same time as the festival.

Say, isn't there one of those in Chicago... only it's held in February?

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

Please do Mike. Machineguns are very cool!

Linn Spencer