Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 121
  1. #81
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,084

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    I will try to find that poll I mentioned. Craft beer is growing but in Canada at any rate it doesn't have more than 7% or so of the total market.

    Gary

  2. #82
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    While the availability of craft beers in the U.S. has grown incredibly over the past twenty-five years, it's still just a drop in the bucket.

    I think the fact that Corona is the best-selling imported beer in the U.S., and probably outsells any craft beer, support the contention that most beer drinkers don't drink beer for taste. Corona with lime tastes a lot like club soda with lime.

  3. #83
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,781

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    RE Canada Beer: The beer situation there is horrible. The "Beer Store" stocks little but sub par Euro beers and vaguely branded Canadian major faux craft garbage.

    RE US Beer: Alabama finally let good beer in state. It's coming along. Ohio only let it in about 8 years or so ago.

    RE US Ohio Beer: We have everything here in Cleveland. Another Brewery is on the way in the summer and many bars where you can get a large selection of micros from coast to coast and darn near any import you can think of. The stores are similar, but you need to know where to look. Right now, the US is the beer capital of the world. I was in the UK for the Holidays and the beer there sucks. I was drinking all cask ales but if you lined up a Bitter, ESB, and a Brown cask ale I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

    I got a big kick out of being in a bar in Sheffield that had about 15 taps and the only tap they were out of was Stone Ruination. Go figure. Stones plans to establish a brewery in Europe is brilliant.

    Back on topic, to me MMark = Bose = Budweiser = Cuervo etc. You get the idea.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  4. #84
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,490

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inthewater View Post

    Well, that is a bit dated info, I think. Lots of fans of craft beers these days. Very similar issue to the one we are discussing, though I won't agree that MM : ORVW as Budweiser : Sierra Nevada (or insert favorite craft brewer). More like Sierra Nevada to Court Ave Brewing Company (small local brew pub) in my home town.

    Both are good products and high quality, one just goes for an even smaller percentage of an already small slice of the consumer pie.
    Really??? Budweiser is a good product? Really???
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  5. #85
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    101

    Thumbs up Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    I guess I don't understand what you mean?

    The symbol I used is commonly understood as "is to", such as cat is to dog or cat : dog.

    It does not mean "equals".

    My point was that both MM and ABInBev make a good product that sells to many folks, versus competition in their same markets.

    Man, lots of "snobs", both beer and burbon, coming out of the woodwork on this one. Is this a wine website, suddenly?

    Anyway, I am no huge Budweiser fan, but besides being boring for a lager / pilsner, it is not a "bad" product. It just doesn't appeal to the tiny percentage of people that will only drink craft beers, much the same way that MM doesn't appeal to the very tiny percentage of an already tiny percentage of people that actually enjoy burbon or whisk(e)y.

    As someone else said earlier, I drink what I like, not what others think I should like.

    Much anger, I sense in you. (Making Yoda sounds)

  6. #86
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,490

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    While I am well aware of how ":" functions in an analogy, I'll admit I might have misunderstood your statement. It is not clear which two products you are referring to when you say "both are good products" Are you saying MM and ORVW are both good products (I would agree with that). Are you saying Sierra Nevada and Court Ave are both good products (Haven't had the later, but I bet I would still probably agree). Or, as I assumed, are you saying MM and Budweiser are both good products (that, I won't agree with).

    Inbev currently holds 50% of the beer market in the US. Obviously they are doing something right and plenty of people are drinking it. But that does not mean it is a "good" product.

    You are right there is not a whole lot of love for MM on the board, but I would say most people here can appreciate it. I have had my fair share of bourbon and while MM is not my favorite, I would gladly choose it over many other bottles (and I think most people here would agree.)

    That is the difference I see. I doubt you could find a beer snob that can appreciate a Budweiser. But with MM, even if people don't think it lives up to the hype, even the snobs can find a few redeeming qualities with it. (But then again, maybe I am just a bitter old man)
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  7. #87
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I've long been associated with the viewpoint that Maker's isn't what it could be, or ought to be, so I find myself in the unusual position of being its defender here: There's nothing wrong with Maker's Mark! I enjoy it. It's about the best one can expect from a c. 6yo, 90-proof wheater.
    My gripe with MM always has been that its single iteration is/was underaged, and therefore 'unfinished'. In fact, the lack of a finish, taste-wise, was its worst sin, for me, because everything about it up to the point when you expect to relish the finish is quite good.
    I'll vote yay in favor of this being the best comment about the actual whiskey and would add that 100 proof does seem to be the magic spot for wheaters, also, no matter the distillery. Can you hear me BT distillery/ Weller 12?

  8. #88
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    101

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    While I am well aware of how ":" functions in an analogy, I'll admit I might have misunderstood your statement. It is not clear which two products you are referring to when you say "both are good products" Are you saying MM and ORVW are both good products (I would agree with that). Are you saying Sierra Nevada and Court Ave are both good products (Haven't had the later, but I bet I would still probably agree). Or, as I assumed, are you saying MM and Budweiser are both good products (that, I won't agree with).

    Inbev currently holds 50% of the beer market in the US. Obviously they are doing something right and plenty of people are drinking it. But that does not mean it is a "good" product.

    You are right there is not a whole lot of love for MM on the board, but I would say most people here can appreciate it. I have had my fair share of bourbon and while MM is not my favorite, I would gladly choose it over many other bottles (and I think most people here would agree.)

    That is the difference I see. I doubt you could find a beer snob that can appreciate a Budweiser. But with MM, even if people don't think it lives up to the hype, even the snobs can find a few redeeming qualities with it. (But then again, maybe I am just a bitter old man)
    I was just saying that both MM and Budweiser are products that sell well and are not crap (even if the tiny percentage of enthusiasts dislike them), but do not appeal to the high end enthusiasts. I am not making any direct comparisons between MM and Bud.

    MM to ORVW and Sierra Nevada to CABCO (local brew pub, craft brewery you enjoy).

    One appeals to a much wider swath of consumers than the other, but both are good products. When you go to a company as large as AB, it gets pretty hard to find a comparison.

    I was at Boulevard Brewing Co. last summer and was told in the tour that the Budweiser plant in St. Louis can make as much beer in one day (could have been one shift) as Blvd Brewing can make in a year. They have a nice new brew house, as well. Its just that big.

    Anyway, just surprised by the animosity that MM brings out on this usually friendly board. It's like people love to hate on it and just start slamming it, and at the same time, insulting those who DO enjoy it.

    Also, I am a "beer snob" and I can appreciate Budweiser for what it is. A massively produced, light lager that is great for an after work out beverage. It is what it is, but I don't know that I would call it a "bad" product just because I do not enjoy it as much as something else.

  9. #89
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inthewater View Post


    ...Anyway, just surprised by the animosity that MM brings out on this usually friendly board. It's like people love to hate on it and just start slamming it, and at the same time, insulting those who DO enjoy it.

    Inthewater-

    I think that most of us are displaying animosity not because maker's mark is a bad product- it isn't- but because they make claims MUCH larger (and much more loudly) than their product is. I enjoy maker's mark, but have little respect (or perhaps grudging respect?) for an ad campaign that can create people who truly believe that there is not a better whiskey and won't try other things.

    It's a bit like Jack Daniels- I don't think there's a single other whiskey that goes as well in coca-cola with a bit of lime, and if I wanted any sort of whiskey in coke, It would be a jack 'n coke. I find Jack Daniels and coke to be absolutely delicious. Jack Daniel's isn't my favorite, and they certainly aren't the best, but they do have a coca-cola sized ad campaign to advertise their product everywhere in the world.

    The difference between Maker's Mark and Jack Daniel's, however, is that Jack put out a couple of other types of Jack- and on at least one occasion I had a single barrel of Jack that was absolutely amazing. By far my biggest problem with Maker's Mark is that they spend so much money on saying how awesome their product is, that they can't seem to actually make some of it that way. But, perhaps that will change- I will eagerly try this new Maker's Mark product with hope.

    I am jaded/cynical/wary of products that scream the most loudly, and I typically hate TV commercials. Perhaps that adds some to my disdain of Maker's. I work for a company that tries its absolute hardest to be the best in its field, and I sometimes have trouble respecting companies that only scream loudly and are only mediocre. That type of advertising has always read like a caveat emptor to me.


    All of that being said, I do enjoy maker's mark. I would choose it over very many other types of bourbon, but I am (unfortunately) the type of person that finds their ad campaign a turnoff and feels that their product could be better.

    I hope you understand my standpoint a little bit better. There's a lot of tone of voice that gets completely lost in text format. If I ever found myself at your house, and you offered me a pour of maker's, I would not be offended.

    HOWEVER,
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

  10. #90
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Inthewater-

    I think that most of us are displaying animosity not because maker's mark is a bad product- it isn't- but because they make claims MUCH larger (and much more loudly) than their product is. I enjoy maker's mark, but have little respect (or perhaps grudging respect?) for an ad campaign that can create people who truly believe that there is not a better whiskey and won't try other things.

    It's a bit like Jack Daniels- I don't think there's a single other whiskey that goes as well in coca-cola with a bit of lime, and if I wanted any sort of whiskey in coke, It would be a jack 'n coke. I find Jack Daniels and coke to be absolutely delicious. Jack Daniel's isn't my favorite, and they certainly aren't the best, but they do have a coca-cola sized ad campaign to advertise their product everywhere in the world.

    The difference between Maker's Mark and Jack Daniel's, however, is that Jack put out a couple of other types of Jack- and on at least one occasion I had a single barrel of Jack that was absolutely amazing. By far my biggest problem with Maker's Mark is that they spend so much money on saying how awesome their product is, that they can't seem to actually make some of it that way. But, perhaps that will change- I will eagerly try this new Maker's Mark product with hope.

    I am jaded/cynical/wary of products that scream the most loudly, and I typically hate TV commercials. Perhaps that adds some to my disdain of Maker's. I work for a company that tries its absolute hardest to be the best in its field, and I sometimes have trouble respecting companies that only scream loudly and are only mediocre. That type of advertising has always read like a caveat emptor to me.


    All of that being said, I do enjoy maker's mark. I would choose it over very many other types of bourbon, but I am (unfortunately) the type of person that finds their ad campaign a turnoff and feels that their product could be better.

    I hope you understand my standpoint a little bit better. There's a lot of tone of voice that gets completely lost in text format. If I ever found myself at your house, and you offered me a pour of maker's, I would not be offended.

    HOWEVER,
    Erik:

    I must be living in a cave. Can you give me some specifics of the advertising for MM that creates the single-minded people that you describe. And, how is it really different in the message than any other bourbon or consumer product? Are Wichita and Tucson really saturated with so much MM advertising? I swear, I only see the occasional billboard. I mean occasional, as in 3 a year. And, the billboards typically are whimsical and light, without mentioning the benefits that would cause the reactions from their supporters that you and others write about. I can't remember the last print ad I saw, though I'm sure they're out there.

    I'm sorry if I sound obtuse, but I continue to not buy the fact that there is this avalanche of MM marketing and advertising.

    They've built a terrific brand. No doubt. But the beauty of their brand is that those who tried it, apparantly continue to buy it. And, they tell others about their positive experience. Which brings in more. Golden. Sounds more like a good product, than mind controlling advertising.

    I also don't get that it's bad for a bourbon to tell it's customers that it's the best they can get. Should they say it sucks?
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Makers Mark VIP
    By HighTower in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 12:48
  2. Makers Mark Cigars
    By Speedy_John in forum Smokes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 10:20
  3. Makers Mark
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-01-2001, 15:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top