Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

UN doesn't like Bourbon

Just a quick update on my dusty hunting in Port-au-Prince, I went to the UN shopette the other day and no Bourbon. Lots of Vodka, Rum and a small bottle of Southern Comfort.

I'll keep my eyes open as I drive around, even if I found something I couldn't buy it...General Order #1.

I'll be back to bourbon drinking in about a month
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: UN doesn't like Bourbon

Hey Jason,

How long are you scheduled to be in Haiti? How much of your unit was sent down there?

Randy

Enthusiast

Randy,

Only 3 people from my unit came down here; however we came down with over 200 people. I'm down here to set up the medical supply chain, once I do that I'll be sent home; right now the target date is third week in March.

When I get back I'll be traveling to D.C and then San Antonio for a couple weeks.

Jason
    Jason

Disciple

Thanks for your work there Jason! Stay safe and get home soon!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post

I'll keep my eyes open as I drive around, even if I found something I couldn't buy it...General Order #1.
    General Order #1 only applies to Anbelows (E-7 and below). That's why they make their own and drink it in their tent or quarters. The one's that get lit up and venture out receive General Order #1 processing. This is waivered if they share with their boss.

For Anaboves (E-8-E-9, WO1-WO5 and O2 to O10) they are exempt as long as the alchohol is shared/consumed with a member of the chain of command.

It's an unwritten rule implemented by the first SECDEF which the General that authored order #1 is obligated to follow. So...if it will fit in your duffle for the trip home its fair game as long as you share with the boss.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My other friend in Haiti is complaining about the slow internet service. For Jason, it's the bad booze selection. Disaster area relief work sounds like hell.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    General Order #1 only applies to Anbelows (E-7 and below). That's why they make their own and drink it in their tent or quarters. The one's that get lit up and venture out receive General Order #1 processing. This is waivered if they share with their boss.

For Anaboves (E-8-E-9, WO1-WO5 and O2 to O10) they are exempt as long as the alchohol is shared/consumed with a member of the chain of command.

It's an unwritten rule implemented by the first SECDEF which the General that authored order #1 is obligated to follow. So...if it will fit in your duffle for the trip home its fair game as long as you share with the boss.
    Some how I don't think this "theory" will hold up during my Court Martial....
    Jason

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post
    Some how I don't think this "theory" will hold up during my Court Martial....
    Well.....it was worth a try anyway. In the mean time be safe, come home healthy and let us know when you're home so we can toast your return
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Things sure have changed since 'Nam! Hard liquor and bottled beer were "not available" there. I was flying C-130s out of CCK (Taiwan). We were in country for 2 weeks TDY, then back to CCK for a week and repeat. I used to gather my crew's ration cards and fill an A-3 bag with cheap booze. We weren't issued jungle fatigues, decent weapons, C rations, LRPRS, etc. so I would trade for goods at forward bases. The going price for an AK-47 or SKS in good shape with bayonet and extra magazines was a bottle of Hiram Walker Imperial or Dark Eyes vodka. I would trade for one of those and When we went into Cam Rahn or Danang I'd strike up a conversation with some Navy officer at the O club and feed him some cock and bull story about how I was at a forward base that was overrun and I killed this guy with a knife and took his SKS. I'd eventually part with the SKS or AK for the amount that I spent on booze back in Taiwan ($20-$30). I've often wondered if any of those guns ever made it back to the US, but I doubt it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Things sure have changed since 'Nam! .
    U-DA-MAN Stu. Most of the places I was deployed to had this nebulous GOO #1 prohibiting alcohol consumption. This ended up forcing the troops to make their own. It went great with barbcue dehydrated pork patty and beans. Later, after dark, the fart lighting contests would begin until some officer reminded us of noise and light discipline. It's the rules that give us the capacity to have fun.