Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

What wine are you drinking? Winter/Spring 2010

Time to revive this sucker...

Today, finished what was left of something I had never had before (no not Laid's) it was a Montenegrin red wine, made from the Vranac grape indeginous to the Balkans. Nice dry red, 2005, well under $15. It's called Plantaze, from the Lake Skadar region, wherever that is.

Then, of course, I had to open something else. So I did. It is a souvenir from a trip up to Old Mission Peninsula, north of Traverse City, Michigan. Chateau Chantal, Proprietor’s Reserve (CCPR?), 2007 Pinot Gris.

WOW. Buttery, dry, golden yellow, perfect age, great vintage. I usually don't drink Alsatian/German-style whites in the winter, but this wine is full-bodied enough to hold its own against March 1.

What are you drinking?
    Last edited by Josh; 03-01-2010 at 19:52.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Re: What wine are you drinking? Winter/Spring 2010

I'm having a nice warm cotes du Rhone 2007. Nowhere near as good as that Chateau Chantal, I'm sure, but very drinkable.
    Amy

Virtuoso

We had a bottle of Shiloh Road open this evening. not bad, but you're paying for Napa Valley.

My favorite cost/quality wine from the last few weeks was a bottle of Unruly Red, which I found to be delicious with whatever it was I was grilling that night (steak? mahi-mahi? I'm not sure). I'd recommend it to anyone who wants an easy-drinkin' red.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Taster

Erik,

Have you tried Evil? It's very nice for a very reasonable every-day drinking price.

We need to go wine shopping again in April . . . .

Hug!
    Sandy

"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Guru

I love the Traverse City area and the wineries...the Chantal location is gorgeous and the wines are good. Michigan produces some very good quality wine.

Enthusiast

A very nice Bogle Phantom. rich wine with a dry finish that then opens to more flavor...grapes.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
    A very nice Bogle Phantom. rich wine with a dry finish that then opens to more flavor...grapes.

I picked up a bottle of Bogle Phantom just the other day! I'm not sure when We'll pop it open but I'm sure we'll enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Grilled up some jerk wings in the MI sunshine yesterday and opened up a Sauvignon Blanc by Chateau Ste Michelle.
    Low priced Wahington state wine, but it works for me, also if it had Califonia on the label they could double the price easily.
    The light citrus went very well with the jerk seasoning.
    ovh

Guru

I am not sure how the rest of you buy wine, but for me, since the vast bulk of varietal wines are comparable to each other due to overall solid quality, I tend to use price as more of a decision maker than vintner. I find the differences between a $7.00 , a $15 and a $20 bottle of wine to be slight and not always in order of price. You could find 20 good Sauvignon Blancs that ranged from cheap to pricey and I wonder if the average drinker could tell the difference. Unlike with whiskey, where I can more readily pick up the less developed flavor profiles between the bottom shelf and the top shelf versions.

You may say, Jono, you just don't have an appreciation for xyz or and undeveloped tongue....maybe...but it is what it is. It is rare that I run into a "bad wine" and it is rare that I run into a wine that is truly exceptional. Maybe I have to spend $35 - 75 on a bottle...but I hesitate to do so unless I know it is going to be worth the price. It doesn't keep like whiskey.

I think this is a reflection of the overall global development of very good wines....it almost hard to find a bad choice.

Enthusiast

At this moment having a glass of Madiran,just like this wine made of the tannatvariety.Yesterday had a few glasses of a Chilean malbec which is very tasty too.This afternoon i had a glass of sauvignon blanc also from Chile,they make some nice wines overthere!Eric.
    Netherlands