Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

What bourbon junk did you get today?

I've been an an email distribution list for Detroit-area estate sales for a year or so now. It's pretty slow in the chillier months, so I don't always make it out to them. But I'm glad I made it to this one. I managed to drag a friend who was playing hooky from work along with me, too.

The guy who owned the place (we think his name was Eben Fridenburg) was some sort of liquor-industy PR guy with a connection to Hiram Walker Co. There was some very nice Canadian Club stuff, including a set of 20 crystal tumblers with the CC logo on them, a similar set of Lauder's Scotch glasses and many others with similar logos. Oh and two CC beltbuckles.

Anyway, I left the CC stuff behind but I did get a nice Bourbon Deluxe 8 y/o pitcher, an Early Times KSBW deck of cards, and a couple books.

One of them was a Beam decanter price guide, 1970-1971 edition by Al Cembura and Constance Avery, filled with a bewildering assortment of decanters. I don't personally collect these things, but I thought somebody out there in SB land might and might be interested in this book. If you are, pm me.

But the coolest find was the 1966 edition of Review's Who in the Liquor Industry. It's a typical "who's who" sort of book with headshots and short bios of various mucky-muckys in the liquor industry at the time.

Names I recognized were: Jere Beam, Geo. Garvin Brown II (+Robinson, Martin & W.L. Lyons Brown Jr. & Sr.), a grinning Oscar Getz with a David Niven mustache, Wathen Medley with a Col. Sanders tie, D. Evans Motlow, Julian VW, Thompson Willet, David Sherman Jr. looking hunky, and a photo of Irving Q. Diageo in scuba gear. I may have made up that last one. There is a section in the back with photos of outstanding NWAABI officers as well, including a Mrs. Julia L Weller, wife of Louis Weller (of those Wellers?).

For entertainment value, there were some fun ads in there too. I'll fire up the old scanner and post some of the more interesting ones in the next week or so. If you're interested in anybody who may be in the book, let me know, too. It includes people in the publishing, PR, and sales areas too.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: What bourbon junk did you get today?

The "Who's Who" book sounds great. I'd love to see it.

All I got today was some Basil Hayden swag: a nice cocktail shaker and a citrus zester, which I needed but I'll probably use on ginger.

Trippah and Admin

I snagged a copy of "The Book of Bourbon & Other Fine American Whiskeys" (AKA the Regan Book) off of Craigslist for a relative song.

I've been looking for a copy of it but refused to pay the exorbitant asking prices.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I snagged a copy of "The Book of Bourbon & Other Fine American Whiskeys" (AKA the Regan Book) off of Craigslist for a relative song.

I've been looking for a copy of it but refused to pay the exorbitant asking prices.
    I hope you didn't pay too much, because the book has been reissued. It is no longer out of print. The reissue is no bargain, however, at $54.95. As near as I can tell it is a re-issue, not a new edition (i.e., not updated).

Still, I know used copies were fetching $100, so at that $54.95 is a deal. And it is a must-have resource.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I hope you didn't pay too much, because the book has been reissued. It is no longer out of print. The reissue is no bargain, however, at $54.95. As near as I can tell it is a re-issue, not a new edition (i.e., not updated).

Still, I know used copies were fetching $100, so at that $54.95 is a deal. And it is a must-have resource.
    It looks like an original hardcover edition as the price on book jacket is $29.95. I paid less than that.

It really is a great book.

Guru

I have this exact same book, The Book Of Bourbon And Other Fine American Whiskeys and mine cost $15.00.
    The price is there by the UPC. I got it about 4 years ago.
    Copyright 1995, 364 pages, same book?
    ovh

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I have this exact same book, The Book Of Bourbon And Other Fine American Whiskeys and mine cost $15.00.
    The price is there by the UPC. I got it about 4 years ago.
    Copyright 1995, 364 pages, same book?
    Same book, but yours has a 15.00 price on the back?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Same book, but yours has a 15.00 price on the back?
    Yep, to the right of the UPC, which is, 780395 935224, what's yours?
    ovh

Irreverent One

I bought mine back when it was originally published. I have no recollection of what I paid.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Yep, to the right of the UPC, which is, 780395 935224, what's yours?
    Different price, different UPC (781881 527893), same book. Interesting thing is there there's no notice of a second printing in the front of the book.

I have seen listings for multiple publishers of the book, including Hougton Mifflin, Chapters and more recently Jared Brown. Mine is published by Chapters.

The cover is the the bottom example on the Regan's site below.

http://www.ardentspirits.com/ardents...OfBourbon.html