Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

I've been thinking about this one for a few days. I haven't seen any Evan Williams product that has been BOTM so far. Let's see if this month's BOTM will generate more discussion. Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof. I have seen it mentioned and talked about in numerous threads and chats. Many people consider it one of the better value pours available. I had to stop at the store this morning to get a paper and a couple other things, so I even decided to pick up a bottle for myself. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Irreverent One

Re: BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

I don't think the current NAS is as good as the 7yo was, but it's still decent stuff. We use it as our "bourbon-and-Coke" bourbon. Current bottle is about 1/3 full, and I'm hoping OLCC will run a "monthly special" on it soon.

Current prices here for 375/750/1750 are $6.95/$12.95/$24.45.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Nothing wrong with an EW Black attack.
    Nice mint tail, great over cracked ice, a little rough on the throat neat though.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Nothing wrong with an EW Black attack.
    Nice mint tail, great over cracked ice, a little rough on the throat neat though.
    My grandfather, at 95, still enjoys a nightly dram. His dram of choice is Evan Williams. He keeps his stash on the bottom shelf of the bottom cabinet in his kitchen. He always buys the 1.75 liter bottle. In the last few years he has lost a lot of mobility in his legs and can't get down to fish his bottle out from the cabinets.

On a recent visit he told me he had used his cane to fish out the last bottle and now it was nearly done so we needed to make a trip to his favorite vendor and stock up. Naturally, he knew there was a sale on plus a 10% case discount so we bought 12 1.75 liter bottles and headed home. When I hauled the case in to restock his cabinet I found ten more bottles shoved to the back of the self.

This surprise revelation to him was actually good news. He now believes his bunker is complete and he will no longer need to venture out to the liquor store to resupply, thinking his bunker will now outlast him.

That much EW will probably last his grandchildren a lifetime too. If ever there was an EW ambassador, my grandfather certainly fits the bill. He's been on it longer than the greatest portion of people that make it or sell it.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Cheers to your Grandfather. That's great story Dan. Thank you.

Guru

I thought the current EW Black is 80 proof or am I mistaken?
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    When I hauled the case in to restock his cabinet I found ten more bottles shoved to the back of the self.
    Cool. I wonder how long they'd been there. Might be the seven year old stuff. Did you check the label?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Joe
    Just checked it it's 86 proof. I like EWB for a back up bourbon it's a great bottom shelf bourbon.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Joe
    The green label is 80 proof.
    Scott

- Serge Storms

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

The EW Black is simply a rock solid bourbon. And, a great bargain, too. I enjoy the NAS as much as I did when it was a stated 7 year. I often hold it up as an example that a distillery can indeed drop the age statment, without compromising the product. So, for those who worry about the Weller SR and OWA dropping their age statements, just hope that BT does as good a job with them going forward, as HH has done to date with EW. I reloaded some of my bargain drinkers over the weekend, but failed to pick up an EW. I'll remedy that oversight later today.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama