Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    I can heartily recommend EWB for deglazing your BBQ plate and amazing your friends as huge flames reach for your eyebrows!
    Haha, exactly right! Good whiskey for general barber chores.

I keep some EWB around for sauces, marinades, glazes and barbecue mops. Trying some neat tonight and I'm finding that this whiskey is fairly one dimensional. But I have to admit that it seems better than it should be for the price.

Cheers!

Enthusiast

I picked up a bottle of this and thought it had kind of weird scent to it. I was thinking it might be the glass I was using, but got the same result with 2 different glencairns and a rocks glass. Maybe it'll go away after the bottle has been open awhile.

I think next time I'll try JTS Brown BIB for the same price or EW 1783 for $1.50 more.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've been a little disappointed by recent bottles, the bourbon seems quite young. I much preferred the 7 year old expression. Apart from the age factor I recall it being rich and rum-like.

Gary

Advanced Taster

I finally read through this thread today at the office and decided I needed to be open minded and pick up a smaller bottle to sample in the spirit of broadening my bourbon experience.

By way of a little background, having never tried EWB, I figured I'd find it to be unpleasant based on my experience with EW BIB. Since I started branching out in my bourbon drinking, I found that I really enjoyed OGDBIB, so I figured I'd try other BIB bourbons I found. Virginia happens to have the EWBIB so I bought a bottle and really didn't enjoy it. Maybe it's just the bottle I got, but the taste of char is overpowering to me. It reminds me of JD which I really never have enjoyed because I always thought it tasted like I was drinking liquid charcoal. EW BIB hit me the same way.

So, on to EWB. For the money, this strikes me as a great value. It's certainly not the most spectacular pour I've ever had, but it's solid. The bottle I got has a very nice nose. Some vanilla and caramel scents with a little hint of wood. The bourbon has a medium mouthfeel. Not quite as think and creamy as I've enjoyed with other bourbons, but too thin like a drink of water. The taste is somewhat lacking, but I wasn't expecting something incredible for the price. A hint of mint, some corn, a little spice, followed by the slighest wood note. All very quick with a very short finish.

Overall, it seems a nice light bourbon for drinking straight and would be a good mixer. I'm sold. When this 375 is empty, I'll be adding a bottle to the bar.

Mike
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Novice

I started drinking EWB 7yo during my college days in the early 80's. It was the best pour I could afford at the time. I continued drinking it as my daily pour, still to this day. But I have to admit, the NAS is not quite as good as the original 7yo. The NAS lacks the original complexity and finish. But I still think it's a great value. Normally I enjoy it with a single cube of ice while grilling.

For some reason, I don't have a bottle right now. That's a rare event. I will get one tomorrow.

Around here it is often on sale for $20 for the 1.75l bottle.

Taster

Evan Williams ($24) tastes like neutral spirit with artificial bourbon flavoring. The SB is better; but either cost ($28) twice what I'd be willing to pay for them.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I think next time I'll try JTS Brown BIB for the same price or EW 1783 for $1.50 more.
    Give it a shot. I'm really liking this one and hard to beat for $10/750ml.

Guru

I drank a ton of this stuff when it was 7 & 8 y/o and 90 proof. It was good. The new stuff is ok but not in that league IMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

I think this stuff is pretty "meh". I would rather spend an extra $5 and get something I really like. I did the same side-by-side as Hansell (with a friend) of the EWB & the new Old Crow Reserve. Although we both agreed that the EWB was a more solid whiskey with a clearer flavor profile and seemingly better aged, we both thought the Old Crow just tasted better. EWB has always had a certain off note that I can't abide, be it charcoal or some other funk, I can't tell. It's great for cooking, though at $12 a bottle.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    EWB has always had a certain off note that I can't abide, be it charcoal or some other funk, I can't tell.
    I agree. I can't describe it, but "funk" sounds about right. At first I thought I was drinking out of a dirty glass, but it was just the bourbon...