Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

Anyone have thoughts on green label EW?
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    I really only can afford Evan Williams or Old Crow Reserve in a regular bottle size. I prefer, I think the Evan Williams as I have not tried them side by side. I believe that I can taste the smoke from the charred oak barrel and that is a good thing. I drink it on the rocks. Have not tried to mix it any other way.

I still prefer Wild Turkey 101 to Evan Willams but I guess we are talking about apples and oranges as far as shelf level. I guess Wild Turkey 101 would be expected to be better.
    Perhaps I budget my luxuries too carefully, as I have found that I prefer EW over WT101. This may be because I drink more EW than 101. Mine goes down neat or with a splash of water.

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I picked up a bottle of this and thought it had kind of weird scent to it. I was thinking it might be the glass I was using, but got the same result with 2 different glencairns and a rocks glass. Maybe it'll go away after the bottle has been open awhile.

I think next time I'll try JTS Brown BIB for the same price or EW 1783 for $1.50 more.
    You know its funny I actually love EWB, since I have gotten into Bourbon about 2 years ago it has been the only staple in my 7-10 open bottles. BUT, I must say sometimes I seem to get the same thing from the smell. I just have always chalked it up to the glass as well. I wonder if one bottle could differ so much from the next.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Nothing wrong with an EW Black attack.
    Nice mint tail, great over cracked ice, a little rough on the throat neat though.
    It's been a couple months since I've visited EWB. The mint that I've heard so much about had always eluded me. Though I wasn't looking for it tonight, I noticed the "mint tail". Had to have another pour to confirm it.

Now that I've found it, I'll probably always notice (and enjoy) it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Of course as I re-read this, I realize that BT has only dropped the AS on the OWA, not the SR. But, if they were to....!!!

I am a dipshit.

EWB is still good.
    Joe, this is a post from 2 years ago: 3-9-2010. Now you look like a soothsayer. Must have great sources.

Plus, this definitely confirms you're not a dipshit.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by beerfactory View Post
    It's been a couple months since I've visited EWB. The mint that I've heard so much about had always eluded me. Though I wasn't looking for it tonight, I noticed the "mint tail". Had to have another pour to confirm it.

Now that I've found it, I'll probably always notice (and enjoy) it.
    It makes me wonder if it ia variety in the bottle... Or the palate where tastes differ. I have only had one bottle of EWB (as I have no intention of buying it again), and the mint tail was about as subtle as it is in a bottle of Scope.

Connoisseur

EWB just tastes kind of like nothing to me. I know I am supposed to like it, but I like Ezra Brooks 90 proof better and I understand that it is likely HH juice also.

Taster

I like this stuff, it's a good quality decently priced pour. I'm a big fan of EWSB, and it bears a strong resemblance to it's older brethren with perhaps a bit less complexity.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    It makes me wonder if it ia variety in the bottle... Or the palate where tastes differ. I have only had one bottle of EWB (as I have no intention of buying it again), and the mint tail was about as subtle as it is in a bottle of Scope.
    It's been awhile, but I've thought about this post from time to time (mainly around 9:30pm when I start winding down with a drink). Despite asking people their opinion, it just doesn't seem I've come any closer to an answer (palate vs bottle). I can say: There are not many people I know, who like bourbon, that do not like Evan Williams. In the interest of disclosure, I have found most bourbons to be well received.

I've received some mighty funny looks when I ask people if EWBL has a noticeable mint finish. I do agree it is there, but do not agree in its severity.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by beerfactory View Post
    It's been awhile, but I've thought about this post from time to time (mainly around 9:30pm when I start winding down with a drink). Despite asking people their opinion, it just doesn't seem I've come any closer to an answer (palate vs bottle). I can say: There are not many people I know, who like bourbon, that do not like Evan Williams. In the interest of disclosure, I have found most bourbons to be well received.

I've received some mighty funny looks when I ask people if EWBL has a noticeable mint finish. I do agree it is there, but do not agree in its severity.
    In my opinion the minty flavors are disappearing from Heaven Hill's bourbons over time. Especially EWB, the last several bottles I've had were not minty at all.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.