Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

I was in Little Rock one day and wanted a drink before dinner. I don't like to drink in bars, especially alone, so I bought a 200ml of EW black in a plastic bottle. I thought it was terrific for the price. Plus I have an extra hip flask!

Disciple

I shall buy some.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    The EW Black is simply a rock solid bourbon. And, a great bargain, too. I enjoy the NAS as much as I did when it was a stated 7 year. I often hold it up as an example that a distillery can indeed drop the age statment, without compromising the product. So, for those who worry about the Weller SR and OWA dropping their age statements, just hope that BT does as good a job with them going forward, as HH has done to date with EW. I reloaded some of my bargain drinkers over the weekend, but failed to pick up an EW. I'll remedy that oversight later today.
    Of course as I re-read this, I realize that BT has only dropped the AS on the OWA, not the SR. But, if they were to....!!!

I am a dipshit.

EWB is still good.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Cool. I wonder how long they'd been there. Might be the seven year old stuff. Did you check the label?
    He did point out several jugs with handles saying they were the older 7 year old EW. There is a good chance some of them have been in the cabinet for at least 10 years but most of them were "lost" in the last two or three years. The stuff we bought recently had no handles so they are harder for him to maneuver with his cane and he believed they were younger than 7 years in the barrel.

Do the 7 year olds have an age statement on them or is the jug handle a reliable indicator? I really didn't look hard because I was a bit giddy finding all that bourbon in one location.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Do the 7 year olds have an age statement on them or is the jug handle a reliable indicator? I really didn't look hard because I was a bit giddy finding all that bourbon in one location.
    The seven year old had an age statement. The 7 was prominently displayed on the label.

I'd post a copy here, but apparently we are (or maybe just I am) not allowed to post attachments in the BOTM forum. However, if you go to the SB.com home page and hit reload enough times, you'll see it eventually.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-08-2010 at 22:34.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

The EW Black is simply a rock solid bourbon. And, a great bargain, too. I enjoy the NAS as much as I did when it was a stated 7 year. I often hold it up as an example that a distillery can indeed drop the age statment, without compromising the product. So, for those who worry about the Weller SR and OWA dropping their age statements, just hope that BT does as good a job with them going forward, as HH has done to date with EW. I reloaded some of my bargain drinkers over the weekend, but failed to pick up an EW. I'll remedy that oversight later today.

It's rock-solid, but I'm just not sure that it IS as good as the 7 year. For some reason, the 7 year had more of the HH creaminess that I associate with some of their EWSBs. It just isn't there as much in the current, NAS stuff. It's good! In fact, I have a friend who enjoys it more than he does the bottle of 1996 SB I let him try. My wife loves it, too- ESPECIALLY as a mixer bourbon.

I am a dipshit.
    Again, I'm going to have to politely disagree with you sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

One of the ironies of the dusty hunter's universe (mine anyway) is the almost total lack of age-stated EW to be found. One would think that what was the second best selling bourbon brand in the country would be easy to find, but it's not. I've found more OCPR, Old Forester BiB, hell I've found more Hirsch 20 than I've found of EW of any age statement.

But when I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. EW was (and is) such a big seller that it rarely stayed on the shelf for very long. A bottle of Hirsch 20 or Split Label WT 12 sitting on a shelf in a small town in the rural midwest is not likely to fly off the shelf.

Anyway, one of the benefits of unemployment is the ability to host my own private tastings. I bought a bottle of EW black a couple days ago and I am now comparing to a few of its cousins: HH White Label BiB (6 y/o), Old Ezra 7/101, and EWSB 1997, all at 86 proof.

The stereotypical HH notes really come through with the HH. Grassy, minty, eucalyptus-y. The EWB is much more balanced. There are those herbal notes, but they are countered by caramel and a hint of wood. The diluted Old Ezra has almost too much wood and not enough mint or caramel. The EWSB '97 (I know it's an unfair comparison) has a lot of corn in the nose, but has such delightful char and sweetness.

Anyway, of the other lower and mid-shelfers, EW definatley holds its own. Another great BOTM choice.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    The seven year old had an age statement. The 7 was prominently displayed on the label.

I'd post a copy here, but apparently we are (or maybe just I am) not allowed to post attachments in the BOTM forum. However, if you go to the SB.com home page and hit reload enough times, you'll see it eventually.
    I can't believe I missed that. Maybe that's why my grandfather was so confident in which were 7 and which were not. I will be visiting again in early summer. I will make a closer inspection if he hasn't drained them all by the time I get back. Regardless, it's a lot of EW.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Plus I have an extra hip flask!
    Now don't go puttin' Scotch in it Stu.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Virtuoso

I always have a bottle of Evan Williams Black on hand. It's hard to beat for the price. I'm not a mixer at all... I drink all my bourbon neat, or with just a drop or two of water, and I don't really find the EW to be harsh on my throat at all, although, I have had it go down the wrong pipe a time or two... and that is no fun at all!