Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Guru

Re: BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

i picked up on it in the HH and EW lineups, but either its fading away, or im becoming accustomed to it. it used to be off-putting, but now i barely notice it.

Enthusiast

It disappeared from Australian shelves last year. Apparently there is a new distributor but I haven't seen any. Pity.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    My grandfather, at 95, still enjoys a nightly dram. His dram of choice is Evan Williams. He keeps his stash on the bottom shelf of the bottom cabinet in his kitchen. He always buys the 1.75 liter bottle. In the last few years he has lost a lot of mobility in his legs and can't get down to fish his bottle out from the cabinets.

On a recent visit he told me he had used his cane to fish out the last bottle and now it was nearly done so we needed to make a trip to his favorite vendor and stock up. Naturally, he knew there was a sale on plus a 10% case discount so we bought 12 1.75 liter bottles and headed home. When I hauled the case in to restock his cabinet I found ten more bottles shoved to the back of the self.

This surprise revelation to him was actually good news. He now believes his bunker is complete and he will no longer need to venture out to the liquor store to resupply, thinking his bunker will now outlast him.

That much EW will probably last his grandchildren a lifetime too. If ever there was an EW ambassador, my grandfather certainly fits the bill. He's been on it longer than the greatest portion of people that make it or sell it.
    Any update on this wonderful story?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerlander View Post
    I remember trying EWB 20 years ago and thinking it was surprisingly good for the price. Esquire listed it as "the best cheap booze" a couple of months ago (http://www.esquire.com/features/drin...p-liquor-0209). I don't read the mag, but a while ago they also listed my favorite album (John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman) as the best ever, so sometimes they hit it right.
    That is a mega classic album, I need to go dig it out!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Vadertime View Post
    Any update on this wonderful story?
    Vader, I am pleased to report that my grandfather will celebrate his 99th birthday in June. We are planning to have a week long celebration as he has slowed down considerably since last I reported on his love of Evan Williams bourbon. It will take a week to get everyone through the line to have a toast to this accomplishment with him. As you might guess, his bunker of EW is capable of sustaining his jolly attitude and thirsty visitors for the duration of the celebration of nearly a century of life, most of it lived in the same house since he was 5 years old. He is genetically wired to the water of life and cannot sustain himself without it. I suspect his Viking roots transformed in Scotland and later perfected in the colonies by his direct ancestors has set the conditions where his mind, body and soul have run efficiently on just a few drams of good bourbon a week for the duration of his long and productive life. While some may argue that bourbon can work no such miracles, his good manners will not allow him to argue the point. After the lecture, he will simply ask if the doubter will be staying to have a dram or two of EW with him after dinner.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

What a beautiful sentiment.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Vader, I am pleased to report that my grandfather will celebrate his 99th birthday in June. We are planning to have a week long celebration as he has slowed down considerably since last I reported on his love of Evan Williams bourbon. It will take a week to get everyone through the line to have a toast to this accomplishment with him. As you might guess, his bunker of EW is capable of sustaining his jolly attitude and thirsty visitors for the duration of the celebration of nearly a century of life, most of it lived in the same house since he was 5 years old. He is genetically wired to the water of life and cannot sustain himself without it. I suspect his Viking roots transformed in Scotland and later perfected in the colonies by his direct ancestors has set the conditions where his mind, body and soul have run efficiently on just a few drams of good bourbon a week for the duration of his long and productive life. While some may argue that bourbon can work no such miracles, his good manners will not allow him to argue the point. After the lecture, he will simply ask if the doubter will be staying to have a dram or two of EW with him after dinner.
    Maybe a EWSB may be appropriate for the occassion? Or perhaps HH could whip up something special, 99 is quite an achievement!

Congratulations to your family!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    In my opinion the minty flavors are disappearing from Heaven Hill's bourbons over time. Especially EWB, the last several bottles I've had were not minty at all.
    I agree. However, the brand is tasting very good in recent years, and is a great value.

Gary

Guru

next year, you should definitely get him an EWBIB, 100 proof for his 100 years.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.