Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Hello from Michigan

Over the years, I've developed some preferences, but realized around a week ago, I've just stumbled on them by chance.

For example, I've never had Wild Turkey! I can't honestly say I've done the due diligence.

So I'm starting over, with the basics, then as I finish one bottle, I'll move on to the next. I'm looking for a group that might share my interest, hope I find here.

I was once a fan of TN whiskey, but now, I think due to the Lincoln County Process (charcoal filter) I can become sick just by the taste (maybe I just over consumed in my youth with Jack, and it is a Pavlov’s dog situation).

So far it has been simple. Jack Daniels #7 vs Johnnie Walker red vs Jim Beam.

Jim's Bourbon has been the winner, however red has a way of perfectly preparing my palate for Jim.

This has been the first time I've ever purchased a bottle of red, and overall, it is not that bad. I'm a regular with Johnnie black. Love the black. It has been around two years since I've had Dewar's White. I think I prefer Dewar's white more than Johnnie red. Other than to compare, I may never buy a bottle of red again. Red had one redeeming quality, it has a way of perfectly preparing my palate for bourbon (however, that may be the case with any scotch).

In the following weeks, I need to try George Dickel and maybe something like Gentleman Jack. This would take TN whiskeys off the list. I will need to finish off what is in the inventory first. More likely once a month, I'll try something new, but will make an exception for most shot / mini-bottles (50 ml) I find and St Patrick's Day (demands a Bushmills vs Jameson).

So, that sums up where I am after 1 week. Hopeful as I go with my first hand experience, either past posting, or just replys to what I post, might provide some insights.
    Last edited by thanis; 03-09-2010 at 12:11.

Guru

Re: Hello from Michigan

Welcome aboard Sir.
    Where is this USA, MI?
    ovh

Irreverent One

Another one from Michigan!

Maybe BT, HH, etal should just relocate up there. They'd save a bundle on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by thanis View Post
    I was once a fan of TN whiskey, but now, I think due to the Lincoln County Process (charcoal filter) I can become sick just by the taste (maybe I just over consumed in my youth with Jack, and it is a Pavlov’s dog situation).
    Maybe. Are you hearing bells too?

In the following weeks, I need to try George Dickel and maybe something like Gentleman Jack. This would take TN whiskeys off the list. I will need to finish off what is in the inventory first. More likely once a month, I'll try something new, but will make an exception for most shot / mini-bottles (50 ml) I find and St Patrick's Day (demands a Bushmills vs Jameson).
    Wow, dude. It all sounds so regimented and disciplined. All these "need" and "demands" statements. Loosen up. We're all about fun here. Learning about bourbon should not be a Twelve Step Program.

So, that sums up where I am after 1 week. Hopeful as I go with my first hand experience, either past posting, or just replys to what I post, might provide some insights.

Insights? Yep, we got them too. Plenty.

Looked at your profile:

Interests: guns, gold, coins, whiskey

If I believed in reincarnation, I'd be wondering if you were once Billy the Kid.

Anyway, welcome to SB.com!
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-09-2010 at 14:06.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    ...Interests: guns, gold, coins, whiskey

If I believed in reincarnation, I'd be wondering if you were once Billy the Kid....
    Hmm, sorry if it comes across that way. Think I'll edit that a bit,.

For example, I would put down hunting, but considering how terrible I am at that, I could just claim cold weather nap taking.

In addition, big fan of SciFi, but that did not fit well.

Or I could list some political views, then again...

As for coin. Well the level of novice circulated coin collecting I'm into is far from the cool it may sound Just some 30 year old looking over a few rolls of pennies and quarters while sipping on a whiskey every wednesday.

Maybe my only true interest is not upsetting my wife.

Hmm, sorry if it comes across that way. Think I'll edit that a bit,.

For example, I would put down hunting, but considering how terrible I am at that, I could just claim cold weather nap taking.

In addition, big fan of SciFi, but that did not fit well.

Or I could list some political views, then again...

As for coin. Well the level of novice circulated coin collecting I'm into is far from the cool it may sound Just some 30 year old looking over a few rolls of pennies and quarters while sipping on a whiskey every wednesday.

Maybe my only true interest is not upsetting my wife.
    I think Scott was just kidding around. Things are pretty loose here for the most part. We have a great group of folks that have a love of bourbon, and like to have some fun with each other. Some folks even like to poke fun at a couple of moderators.

I really liked the last line in your most recent post. There's even a thread pretty much dedicated to that subject. First Dirty Look From Wife http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=13650 Those of us that are married understand.

As far as having a plan is concerned, good luck. I had a plan when I first joined too. Right. It's okay to have a plan, but be flexible. Once you get into this a bit, you'll be surprised at just how easy it is to get distracted. By that I mean, there are just so many varied and good things out there to try, it's easy to get sidetracked. FWIW, my plan was to find two bourbons. I was determined to find the sweetest, smoothest bourbon, and the highest proof, most in your face bourbon. I found both. More than once. It's all good!

Anyway, welcome aboard Thanis. Glad to have you. In case you are interested, we have a chat room here. Official chats are Thursdays and Sundays, but you never know when folks might drop in. Hope you enjoy it here and have some fun too. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Welcome to the fold thanis. You picked a whopper of a site, we just so happen to have a great group here in the great white North! We try to get together every once in a while and compare notes on favorite whiskeys a whatnot.

Do tell, what will be your next Bourbon selection now that you've tried the ever so warming Jim Beam White (aka - JBW)?

Hope you enjoy your stay and you journey! The dirty looks from the wife are just getting started... post on that again in 6 months !

Regards,
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I think Scott was just kidding around.
    Left off the smilies. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Some folks even like to poke fun at a couple of moderators.
    Just the ones that make funny sounds when you poke 'em.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Thanis, welcome to SB. In general terms where in MI do you live? I grew up in the thumb but left there more than 40 years ago for the big city.

One way to avoid the look is to have your wife develop an expensive habit. Of course the downside is two expensive hobbies to support.

Will

Enthusiast

I happen to have all the expensive hobbies in the family. So what.
    Amy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bonneamie View Post
    I happen to have all the expensive hobbies in the family. So what.
    Could be worse. You could have a $1500 a day Faberge egg habit.

Bleeding Gums Murphy: I'd like another Faberge egg, please.
    Man: Sir, don't you think you've had enough?
    Bleeding Gums Murphy: I'll tell you when I've had enough!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog