Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question From a New Bourbon Enthusiast

If I buy some bottles to consume later, say over a year from now or even a
    few years from now, is it a bad idea to break the seal to smell the
    bourbon?

One of my favorite things about Bourbon is the smell but I am
    thinking about trying to SLOWLY build a collection, so I don't want to
    drink it right now.

Thank You

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Question From a New Bourbon Enthusiast

no problem storing opened bottle away for a few years, especially with just a few ounces removed. If the bottle is mostly empty and then stored for a few years, it might have a slight taste change from original from oxidation, but it will not go bad.

So oxidation won't be a huge problem unless I have a bottle that has a
    lot of empty space in it that has been sitting around for a really long time?

I'm wondering how long this usually takes...5 years? 10 years? More? I guess
    it depends on a number of variables.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Harmful oxidation in the bottle takes a long time, although some people are very sensitive to even small changes, so for them it may happen faster.

To get some idea what we're talking about, pour a glass of whiskey, taste it, then let it sit uncovered for 6 or 7 hours and taste it again.

The good thing about breaking the seal, even if just to take a wiff, is that you then have that out of the way and won't hesitate if you want to drink some.

Heck, you have to drink something now.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

To get some idea what we're talking about, pour a glass of whiskey, taste it, then let it sit uncovered for 6 or 7 hours and taste it again.
    This is very good advice.
    I am very sensative to bottles that have been open for a short period of time.
    I have friends who swear that it doesn't change the taste even after a year.
    But this is a good test to see where your nose/palate is.
    ovh

Guru

Harmful oxidation in the bottle takes a long time, although some people are very sensitive to even small changes, so for them it may happen faster.

The good thing about breaking the seal, even if just to take a wiff, is that you then have that out of the way and won't hesitate if you want to drink some.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I'm one of the sensitives too. I have been given sips and even whole bottles of some choice dusties that others loved and raved about but all I got was a nauseatingly strong butterscotch smell.

On the other hand I often don't get some of the "leatherbound book" and tobacco smells and tastes many people get out of whiskeys.

So in the end, your mileage may vary.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

The only problem I have had with long storage of open bottles is if they have a cork stopper. I have had the corks deteriorate so bad that they fell apart and left cork goo around the inside of the neck. A lot of times though, I have gone back to a mediocre bottle that has been open for a few years and the taste seems to have improved not degraded.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Enthusiast

I agree with you, Chuck. When I find a bottle of something rare, it's nearly impossible to open it. Some bottles I open immediately after getting them home for that very reason.

Virtuoso

I try to buy two bottles of every new whiskey I try- one I open for rotation, and one I put in the retirement bunker. I can do this because I really can't say I've ever found a whiskey I couldn't drink. Even neat.

I even finally finished a bottle of Tangle Ridge Canadian whisky because I couldn't bear to pour it down the drain, and I couldn't stand looking at it on my shelf after my first taste- seemed to contaminate the 'wa' of the space. Luckily, I only bought one of those.

Never had any problem like that with anything labeled KSBW, especially after reading through the wealth of expert (and non-professional) recommendations/opinions I've found right here at SB.com. Thanks, everybody!
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Me, too. I have a bottle of Sazerac 18 year that has been open for a year and a half, and there's about a 1/4 of a bottle left. Now it smells (and tastes) like hopsital needles and chloroform with an intensly sharp, stabbing, and sweet nose. it is horrible. That's oxidation for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm one of the sensitives too. I have been given sips and even whole bottles of some choice dusties that others loved and raved about but all I got was a nauseatingly strong butterscotch smell.
    Are you talking about older ND products, or are you talking about AAA10? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.