Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Question From a New Bourbon Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Me, too. I have a bottle of Sazerac 18 year that has been open for a year and a half, and there's about a 1/4 of a bottle left. Now it smells (and tastes) like hopsital needles and chloroform with an intensly sharp, stabbing, and sweet nose. it is horrible. That's oxidation for you....

Are you talking about older ND products, or are you talking about AAA10? Just curious.
    I've gotten it out of old ND products, but I've also gotten it from old AAs, an EW, and the worst I ever got was a bottle of Old Charter 7 y/o.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

If you're worried about oxidation, just move the juice into smaller bottles as needed.

Advanced Taster

where it's stored is also, issue. certainly not in the window, attic, car, next to furnace.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I've gotten it out of old ND products, but I've also gotten it from old AAs, an EW, and the worst I ever got was a bottle of Old Charter 7 y/o.
    WORST?
    I would think you meant to say BEST!!!

Love that butterscotch....I bunkered up on Taylor 86s and Charter 7s from the 70s and 80s specifically for that reason.

And Tangle Ridge - I've got a bottle that's been open for 5 years and hasn't gotten any less awful in that time. It must be good for something...perhaps in a cake or compote?

Roger

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    WORST?
    I would think you meant to say BEST!!!

Love that butterscotch....I bunkered up on Taylor 86s and Charter 7s from the 70s and 80s specifically for that reason.

And Tangle Ridge - I've got a bottle that's been open for 5 years and hasn't gotten any less awful in that time. It must be good for something...perhaps in a cake or compote?

Roger

I know and sometimes enjoy the butterscotchiness (is that a word? It is now, I guess) of the ND stuff, but the OC 7's aroma was so strong that I literally almost vomited once. It got stronger every time I opened the bottle, too.

But I guess one man's nausea is another man's yummy. At least I know where to send the next bottle I get like that!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

In my limited experience with bourbon I have found that IMO a bottle usually changes for the better when its been opened 1-2 months.

Advanced Taster

I've not noticed degradation with age of open bottles. But I use parafilm on cork bottles. And, when a bottle gets below a half or third I go ahead and work on it. From what I see on this board, there's consensus, open bottles that are okay when they are opened stay okay until about a quarter full then it's hit or miss.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    In my limited experience with bourbon I have found that IMO a bottle usually changes for the better when its been opened 1-2 months.
    You'll have company there. I've sampled many a bottle that tasted better after being opened for awhile.

I've also had bottles that have been open for several years without deterioration.

As someone up-thread said YMMV

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Oxidation, enemy of whiskey in open bottles, is also one of the positive things that happens during barrel aging. Because the atmosphere inside the air space of a barrel is different from the atmosphere inside the open bottle in your pantry, the effects there, if noticable at all, are more often bad, but they can be beneficial if the whiskey hadn't quite oxidized enough when it was dumped. It's all oxidation. It's also oxidation at work when a freshly-poured bourbon needs a few minutes in the glass to open up.

I have an almost empty Lot B that's been open for well over a year and it's better now than it ever has been.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.