Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Question From a New Bourbon Enthusiast

Chuck,

If you were to decant a bottle of bourbon through a unbleached coffee filter to sift out some cork, is it possible for the bourbon to "over-oxidize"?

Apprentice

How about using a Nitrogen and Argon spray? I bought a can at my local upscale bourbon / wine seller.

I keep several bottles open at a time, and I always seal the more expensive ones up after using the spray.

IMHO - The flavor has not changed for any bottle that was open (even for a year or more).

Anyone else do this?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRobot View Post
    How about using a Nitrogen and Argon spray? ...Anyone else do this?
    A lot of wine people do this. Some few bourbon and scotch people do this, too. IMO, whiskey people that use a purge gas are mostly folks with higher end stuff. For me, a high end is over $100/bottle. For other people, a high end is over $2000/bottle.

Connoisseur

I do use the wine preserve gas. When I open a new bottle I fill 2 two oz bottles and 1 four ounce bottle half full and gas the remaining bourbon in the bottle. I want to see how each reacts to the different enviroment over a period of time.

Yes to gassing my high end bourbon anything over $200
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Chuck,

If you were to decant a bottle of bourbon through a unbleached coffee filter to sift out some cork, is it possible for the bourbon to "over-oxidize"?
    Oxidation is contact with the atmosphere. How long does filtering take? It's not oxidation, but a coffee filter is likely to remove more than cork particles and might alter the taste, but I don't see where oxidation would be the issue. Just speculating, though.

Advanced Taster

I agree with Chuck. I waited till the expert weighed in before I said anything. Though filtering does bubble lots of air into the fluid and exposes a lot of air to the liquid, there's a time factor. IMO, time in the bottle with lots of air in headspace is a far greater oxidation risk than filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Chuck,

You read that at whisky magazine forum didn't you? It was a tongue in check response to a post I made telling someone how to get the cork out of their whisk(e)y. The writers were poking fun at another member for something that he had posted on another thread.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 03-13-2010 at 23:55.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

To remove cork from bourbon when a cork breaks I've poured the bourbon into a quart Pyrex cup and removed the floating cork with a toothpick. Rinse the bottle with a little of the bourbon and replaced the remainder back into the bottle.
    For the little oxidation that happens then, well that's life.

Connoisseur

I guess I have no taste. I always leave it in the original bottle until it's less than 1/2 full, then move it to a clean 375ml, then later to a 200ml. On my everyday stuff that I drink regularly, I just drink it until the bottle is empty. That doesn't sound right, but I hope you know what I mean.

To remove cork, my wife has an extremely fine sieve in a tea ball. Any cork that gets through that doesn't bother me. Any cork that gets through that is finer than the charcoal we get from a whiskey from a barrel.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    You read that at whisky magazine forum didn't you? It was a tongue in check response to a post I made telling someone how to get the cork out of their whisk(e)y. The writers were poking fun at another member for something that he had posted on another thread.
    No, I actually did it with a bottle myself. Definitely tasted a little "off" afterwards. Seemed like the coffee filter worked kind of like decanting a bottle of wine. I thought maybe the exposure to the air by slowly dripping through the filter affected it, but like Chuck said maybe I filtered out more than just cork. Thanks for the input guys.