Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Guru

Re: Question From a New Bourbon Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    To remove cork, my wife has an extremely fine sieve in a tea ball..
    I use a fine tea strainer. I guess I'm not the only one.

Taster

How about using one of the "permanent" coffee filters that use a fine mesh screen? So long as they are coated and not metal, I wouldnt think these would alter the taste as much as using the paper filters as they would only hold back larger particles (i.e. the cork). At least in theory. Anyone tried this?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by loose proton View Post
    I agree with Chuck. I waited till the expert weighed in before I said anything. Though filtering does bubble lots of air into the fluid and exposes a lot of air to the liquid, there's a time factor. IMO, time in the bottle with lots of air in headspace is a far greater oxidation risk than filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    How about using one of the "permanent" coffee filters that use a fine mesh screen? So long as they are coated and not metal, I wouldnt think these would alter the taste as much as using the paper filters as they would only hold back larger particles (i.e. the cork). At least in theory. Anyone tried this?

I think that any time you reduce the volume to surface area significantly and expose the whiskey to a lot of air (i.e. "bubbling air" into the liquid through filtration) You are going to get oxidation. There IS a time factor, but if you have added oxygen to the liquid it will eventually bond with molecules in the whiskey and cause oxidation- and it will probably be more significant oxidation than if you'd just left your bottle alone. Unfortunately, the cork has to come out of the whiskey somehow.

So far, I've been lucky- I've been able to fish the small pieces of cork out of my whiskey with a clean ice pick or simply by tilting the bottle until the cork is clinging to the glass of the bottle. I haven't had a cork straight up disentegrate on me- yet.

I do like the idea of a strainer or metal coffee filter- I feel that filtering whiskey with something like a paper coffee filter probably will remove something more than just the cork.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.