Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Bourbon Societies

I am not sure if this topic belongs here or on off topic board , but here it goes .... Has am one here joined or tried to join or is a member of the Bourbon Societies listed on SB.com web site ? If so what do they offer and how long did it take to get a repley from them if ever ?
    Thank you for your understanding if I have posted this on the wrong board ....
    Bill G .
    Hopefully learning something

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Bourbon Societies

I'm in 2 of them, well sort of. The good one is The Bardstown Bourbon Society, sponsored by Heaven Hill. I think you can get to it Online. I also belong(?) to Kentucky Bourbon Circle Which is Jim Beam. Some way somehow the newsletters while nice have been infrequent in coming, It's been a long time since I got a copy ( more than a year). You can go online and read most of it. It may be KBC .com or something. Basically they would tell you about personal appearances of Booker and Fred Noe. Offer some glasses and videos . Feature some new non Bourbon brand from that company and maybe include a recipe for manhattens or old fashion. I did learn to infuse Maroshino cherries there.Basically all it is is to promote the Small Batch Collection. That was about it . I do from time to time get an invite to a Bourbon tasting in Louisville , I don't know who is connected to that , and they feature everyones Bourbon at one time or another.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Maker's Mark has a Ambassador's Club...It's a newsletter from Bill Samuel's Jr...

I forgot about that one. Beams is at SmallBatch.com. HH is Bardstownbourbonsociety.com You will need a secret word to see the newsletter .

Virtuoso

I get the two Bobby mentioned. They are primarily marketing materials. But, since discovering SB.com, I've had no need for them. Still, it's nice to get them in the mail.

Advanced Taster

The reason I ask Is I sent off a letter , by snail mail to 3 of the listed Societies back in Nov,Dec of 2002 and have not heard a word from any of them .......Just wondering if it was something I said / did .......

Bill G.

Guru

I'll bet that you hear from the Bardstown Bourbon Society. Heck, they even admitted me as a member.

They sent me a membership kit (eventually), which included a coupon for a rebate on any Heaven Hill single barrel bourbon.

Someone mentioned the need for a secret code to register at the site. I'll bet it's a closely guarded secret, too, sort of like a distillery's mashbill (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Wild Turkey had a thing on their website where if you answered a bunch of questions correctly ( There are articles you are pointed to so you can find out everything there eventually) and they would send you a Rare Breed baseball cap. I got the test right but never got the cap. I may try it again sometime if it is still there.

Guru

A couple of years ago, I signed up for George Dickel's "Water Conservation Society". Pure marketing, but what can you expect.

I don't hear from them very often, but they did send me a mailing a few months ago, so they are still alive, if only barely.

Tim

Guru

I guess they figured out that some Turkey-nuts will actually pay for the hat.

Come to think of it, mine isn't Rare Breed; it's Wild Turkey.

According to the information on their website, it's possible that you answered all the questions correctly but were not among the first 250 to do so.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield