Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Disciple

What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

Due to the overwhelming positive responce (and ongoing relevancy) to the original thread, there have been so many posts that some of us with dial up modems that are having a hard time loading the original thread. The best course of action I can think of is to create a new thread and continue on there. So fire away.

Anyway, I am going to go have an Manhattan with Old Granddad BIB before eating dinner, the spiciness seems to me to lend itself marvelously to the drink.

Rock on Yo!
    TomC

Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

Hi all- drinking Old Forrester-100 proof tonight- read on the forum that it has the same style as the birthday bourbon. It is good, but a long way from the birthday bourbon. The birthday bourbon is very special indeed!Smoooooth!!! and balanced perfectly.

Cheers,
    Marvin

Administrator in exile

Good choice Marvin. I dearly love OF 100. I will disagree with your assertion that it has a "long way to go" before reaching the BB. IMHO it is closer to a photo finish. I think we should do a comparison tasting of the two. Look for that thread maybe tomorrow night

Administrator in exile

Old Fitzgerald BIB. I am working on my first ever bottle of this one. As far as wheated bourbons go I would rank this one equal to Maker's Mark, slightly above Weller, and well below the Van Winkle's.

Guru

Tom,

Thanks for taking pity on those of us with constricted information flow.

A little earlier this afternoon I was composing a post (which Windows 98 saw fit to trash) while drinking a scant shot of EWSB '92. Unlike some reviewers, I have a hard time working up a lot of passion about this bourbon.

I've read glowing praise, and I've read damnation by the faintest possible praise. I don't get either viewpoint.

It has more than a tad of the mediciney quality that I associate with EC12 (and that's a good thing), along with some other notes that I haven't identified. This afternoon I would have sworn that there was the aroma of the peach-picking sheds that I knew as a kid, and some of that even carried over to the palate.

I find it to be an interesting drink with a unique flavor profile, but perhaps a bit overpriced -- I find EC12 more enjoyable for less money.

Now, let's see... What was I writing about when my screen went zappooski?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

Almost brings a tear to my eyes to see such a wonderful thread come to an end. With 3357 hits and 246 posts it was hands down the most popular thread on the board. Way to go Clogsdon Maybe everyone here should just get DSL like me

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re:What are you drinking this moment? (Super Bowl)

Right now it's Birthday Bourbon, the shining star of my Super Bowl lineup. As for Sunday, the Stagg performed more than admirably, as the true all pro that it is; the Kentucky Spirit, however, was brash and noisy and (as I have frequently thought) alot of top end show without the substance to back it up; but the Birthday Bourbon was, on Sunday anyway, as sublime a bourbon as one could ask for. There just isn't anything about it that I would change, except maybe to kick up the proof a bit.

I will read with interest any comparisons between the OF BIB and the 2002 Birthday. The BIB is presently AWOL from the bunker. In my humble opinion, the Birthday Bourbon is "all that" and more. I agree completely that it is "perfectly balanced," quite simply a fabulous, full-bodied bourbon that deserves to sit deep in the bunker for years to come.

Administrator in exile

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the Kentucky Spirit, however, was brash and noisy and (as I have frequently thought) alot of top end show without the substance to back it up

[/QUOTE]

Cliff,
    You're killing me here. That kind of talk is blasphemy around these parts. The BB is very, very good, but it needs to learn its place in the bourbon pecking order. KS is hands down the single best, always available, bourbon on the market. If you have read any of my posts you will know that I hold all of the OF bourbons in high esteem, but Wild Turkey puts them all to shame. God Bless Jimmy Russell

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Jeff, just my reaction to this one particular year 2000 KS bottle on this one particular Sunday. I plan to investigate a 2002 bottle of KS that's in the bunker and some other WT bottlings in there, including a Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, and a Ltd. Ed. gold label 12yo, to learn more about the Russell profile, generally, and to try to understand why I am frequently disappointed by this particular KS bottle.

Administrator in exile

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    just my reaction to this one particular year 2000 KS bottle

[/QUOTE]

2000? My god man, didn't you check the "born-on" dating on the bottle? You've got a bottle of skunky bourbon