Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

In front of me at the moment are a glass each of the BB, WR and OF100. These were used as scientific data in my recent Brown-Foreman study. All truely fine bourbons, but the BB is just the best, end of story!

Enthusiast

jeff - When you are right you are right!

Cheers
    Marvin

Administrator in exile

George T Stagg with a single ice cube. I am feeling a little free're with the Stagg since my recent discovery of hidden treasures. I now have 6 full bottles and about 1/2 of my first bottle. This is also the first time I am drinking it with anything added. As the ice melts I am getting stronger hints of black tea and honey. Very nice. Also, being chilled takes a little of the burn out of the start and finish, and allows more of the flavors to shine through.

Administrator in exile

Marvin,
    The birthday bourbon IS all that! We can only hope for something as good or better this year. Hopefully in time for the festival!

Advanced Taster

Hello, Today I received my Reidel Bourbon Glasses. Washed them in hot suds dried them off and then poured a nice portion of Vanwinkle 13yr Rye. I first noticed a more pronounced boquet. It seems this glass has the ability to send it's boquet right to your nose. My first impressions on these bourbon glasse are very favorable. The 13yr Rye well it's always deleciuos regardless of what I drink it in. Tomorrow I plan to open another bottle of 16yt Hirsch and see what my new Borubon Glass says to me. Creggor..

Advanced Taster

Glass say: "You one lucky son-of-a-gun, Creggor"

SpeedyJohn

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

Fighting Cock, 6 year old.

I must say, this bourbon isn't bad. Less pepper than WT101, and its on special in NC for $12 a bottle.

You can taste the Heaven Hill, but its warmer than EWSB 92, less char/smoke than EC18. good stuff. A tad short on the finish though.

Virtuoso

Old Fitz 1849 and Old Fitz 12 yo. I finished off the remnants of both bottles tonight. And last night I finished off the Old Fitz BIB. (There wasn't alot left in any of the bottles.) Gotta make room for the 1.75L of Buffalo Trace I am picking up this week at my parents'.

I really like the 1849 - so silky smooth, so easy to drink. The 12 yo is a different story. A couple months ago, I was disappointed with the 12 yo because I was expecting a better 1849. Well, it isn't in the same flavor category as the 1849. The 12 yo is much more complex and takes alot more effort to appreciate. The 1849 is, well, bourbon candy. No effort required, just sip and enjoy. The 12 yo makes you think to appreciate it. If I find it again, I will give it another shot and give it a more fair appraisal. But, I will definitely buy more 1849 next time I am in KY.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Jeff,
    The ice makes a big difference in the Stagg. I prefer it. I've read several posts claiming this is blasphemy but will stick by my guns. If you haven't tried it, don't beat up on it. This is a different (and IMHO better) bourbon on the rocks.

Virtuoso

My first bottle of Stagg was neat all the way. But, I'll have to put your theory to the test tomorrow night when I encounter my second bottle.

I am heading to my parents' in WV where I have accumulated a stash from many sources (WV stores, KY stores, and Sam's in Chicago who won't ship to NC.) I've been looking forward to this trip for weeks!