Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

I can understand that. If you like complexity, the Fox just doesn't have it like the other bourbons you mentioned. However, I like to have several different kinds of flavor profiles so I can match my mood and the season. I've just discovered the Fox recently and can't wait to try it in the summer. I think it will be a perfect match for hot evenings.

Guru

Yeah, I have to agree that it is not a complex bourbon by any means, but for its price and relative smoothness it still earns high marks in my book and gets my praise.

--> Mark R.

Guru

Well, the price here isn't that great ($20). The Fox seems to me to be sort of like the J&B of bourbons - smooth and light. Its just not what grabs me. The taste is very nice, I am by no means saying there is anything objectionable about it. It is just not assertive enough.

Tim

Guru

Yeah see, I can get it for less than $17 at times. When I don't want that assertive of a bourbon (which isn't often but certain nights call for it), this is what I usually grab...

--> Mark R.

Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

Van Winkle 107 10yr as I look at my bottle of Stagg with luck it will have 2 more beside it ..........mmmm life at its finest .
    Bill G.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

There's never enough is there, Bill?

Advanced Taster

I am just lucky to have the one bottle , that in it's self is more than I ever thought even possible ....
    Bill G.
    Still doing snoopy's happy dance
    I GOT STAGG >>>>I GOT STAGG<<<<<<<<<<

Administrator in exile

Wathen's Single Barrel. Nice toasty notes warm what is hopefully the last of the cold winter nights. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg however make this a bourbon perfect for fall and winter enjoyment.

Guru

Ezra Brooks 15 yr Single Barrel... A very fine bourbon especially at the $18 price I paid with shipping. Nice sweet toffee notes and what a vanilla nose I get off of it, absolutely loving it!

--> Mark R.

Guru

May I mention a rye in a thread that resides in the General Bourbon forum? I hope so.

Hirsch (TM), Selection, Kentucky Rye Whiskey, 13 Years Old.

I started this afternoon with VWFR 13 year rye, which I once again found to be the best whiskey Iíve ever tasted. (However, I have yet to try it head-to-head with Wild Turkey 12 year old, my personal King of the Hill among bourbons.) That was reassuring because lately Iíve been disappointed with a couple of old favorites, including one from the Wild Turkey line.

The Hirsch is magnificent in its own right. The barrel influence is much stronger than in the Van Winkle, and it adds depth to the rye spice without subduing it. Where the VWFR sparkles and dances on the tongue, the Hirsh is rich and soothing, with a huge toffee/caramel finish that slowly fades to a dryness that demands another sip. (Can there be two bottlings with the title, ďmy favorite whiskeyĒ?) Where the VWFR reaches up and tickles my nose, the Hirsch causes me to inhale ever more deeply, straining to inhale as much of its subtle, sweet molasses, honey, and leather as I can get.

I bought this bottle as a Christmas present to myself at a nearby wine shop that has about a dozen American whiskeys in stock. I was only there to pick up shipping cartons for a couple of gift bottles of that other spirit, but while the clerk went to the back of the store to retrieve my mailers, I had a little time to kill. What sold me on this bottle was the Hirsch name plus the deepest mahogany color Iíve ever seen in an American whiskey. (Since this is a rye, I suppose it could have some added coloring. I hope that's not the case. I'd like to believe that this is its natural color.) It was a whopping $32.99, and I was buying it on faith, but like I said, I was in the Christmas spirit. I may never be able to afford another bottle, but Iím glad I have this one. (Dang! With the glass that I just poured, the level in the bottle is below the taper already. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield