Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

Great review! I would like to know which distiller made this whiskey. Anyone know, or have an informed guess?

Cy

Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (Can there be two bottlings with the title, “my favorite whiskey”?)

[/QUOTE]
    Of course! I'd be hard pressed to name a single bourbon that I could live the rest of my life with. Ok, it probably would be Stagg, but there are lots of times when change is welcome. I need the ORVW family (10, 15, rye), I need Wathens, and I need OF 100. And for nights like tonight when works just sucks and you want to (1) treat yourself and (2) not drink too much of your good stuff, then a good 1.75L like Buffalo Trace fits the bill nicely.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

On a wine and spirits store site it says the Hirsch brand name is owned by Preiss Imports of California. It says Preiss asked Van Winkle to supply the whiskey for the 13 year old Hirsch straight rye. And further, that the rye is from the same source as the Van Winkle 13 year old rye but from "different barrels". I believe henceforth Van Winkle will obtain its rye from Buffalo Trace but in the past the stock came from different sources and I think the Hirsch 13 year old bottling goes back a few years.

I have said earlier the current Van Winkle 13 year old struck me as somewhat different from the one on the market in past years (e.g. much more rye character), but this may be an impression and it is hard to say without the facts. Could it be that the current 13 year old (if indeed differently sourced than the original 13 year old) is a younger version of Sazerac rye? I don't know, all I know is these products are all top of the line, stunning in fact.

The value of the "merchant" system (Scottish term for independent bottlers selecting and selling whisky under their name) is that one gets a house flavor or approach reflecting the taste and standard of the owner. Van Winkle achieves a very high standard through its emphasis on well-aged, highest quality bourbons and ryes, they are a credit to the industry and no doubt stimulated greatly the quality segment.

Cy

The Boss

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

That story is true Cy. I asked Julian about this at last year's Whiskies of the world expo, and he told me that (and I paraphrase) when he was done filling up his bottles, he used the remainder to fill up the Hirsch bottles.

The Hirsch rye is excellent in any event. I have difficulty finding the Van Winkle product around here, but the Hirsch is readily available.

Enthusiast

I have a little sample bottle of Noah's Mill. I'm enjoying a wee bit of it this afternoon. Pretty nice, with quite a bit of caramel/honey flavors. Not bad.

Bob

Administrator in exile

Old Fitzgerald 1849. My somewhat luke-warm initial impression of this one has changed a bit. Tonight I am getting lots of yeasty wheat bread notes in the nose. It is somewhat medium-bodied on the palate with a medium-long finish. Lots of fruity-sweetness on the front end and a cinnamony spiciness on the back. Overall a decent pour, but I think I like the BIB best, and the price is better to boot.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Its bunko night at my house ( a dice game that the local wives play once a month) , so I'm out on the deck in the intermittent rain with a small fire going in the outdoor fire place. I finally came across Peychaud's Bitters, so tonight its Ancient Ancient Age Manhattans Up, a Pappy Van Winkle cigar (Dominican) and my favorite book to reread, The Double Helix. Life is good (But Damp)

Administrator in exile

Ed,

Where did you find the PVW Cigars? Please post you impressions in the smokes forum, I am very interested.

Taster

I have just had a drink from my second bottle of Buffalo Trace. I must admit it is much improved over the first bottle. The first bottle had a musty or earthy flavor. Frankly it tasted like dirt. This is smooth soft and sweet. Very Good indeed. We owe kudos to the Buffalo Trace people. They produce a wonderful variety of whiskies in all price ranges and with many delicious characteristics.

Guru

I've mentioned the same thing in a previous post moons ago... Me and my friend both had a similar experience with bottles purchased a while back having the 'musty' taste to them you mentioned. But any new bottle I have had has been wonderfully superb.

--&gt; Mark R.