Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

Many of the bottle I get from BT have that similar earthy taste. I don't know if I would call what I have tasted "musty", but the taste is definately "down to earth" Maybe they have changed locations of the barrels that they use for BT and that might explain the differences that you are describing?

Guru

I still get somewhat of an 'earthy' taste (and many other wonderful tastes!) in newly purchased bottles but in a bottle purchased 2-3 years ago there was a definate 'musty' taste. I would assume it was due to a location or some extreme circumstance that contributed to the mustiness.

--> Mark R.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

When we were at Buffalo Trace in September, Ken Weber told us that they had gotten complaints from experienced drinkers of Ancient Age about the musty flavors. It seems that on a particular run they dumped only barrels from a certain house( nothing wrong with the house or the Bourbon there, I don't recall if he mentioned which one it was) only. Now they have a system in place whereby barrels from different houses are dumped to come up with the batch.

Guru

I bought my bottle at the distillery in 2001 and have enjoyed it immensely. It is one of my favorite pours. Tonight I have cracked my first bottle of Knob Creek...I updated the Tasting thread...basically, in essential agreement with Linn's nose and taste notes. However, I find it similar to EC12...am I crazy?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

J W Dant distilled at Dsp113 ( now Buffalo Trace) bottled at Dsp 16 ( Stitzel Weller)

Well I've gone a little farther with this one. As far as I'm concerned it is IMHO better than Eagle Rare single barrel, and I even like it better than Weller 19. Honestly I think that if we all had a bottle of this that mileage would vary, I don't think we'd see a consensus like we did on OFBB and GTS. This is an Oldie but Goodie, inexpensive , 12.50and 14.something a 750ml and 1liter respectively. I need to get a DSP31 Dant and see how close the profile is. A good find , worth getting if you see it, don't drive a hundred miles for this one .
    The label on this bottling says The Dant Distillery Frankfort , Ky The DSP 31 says Dant Distillery Bardstown Ky.

Virtuoso

Guy Movie Night

Two Vin Diesel movies and AAA 10 yo, EWSB 1993, Woodford Reserve, and GTS. Of course, after all that I fell asleep during XXX despite the constant action and noise. I have a home theater system with a 12" subwoofer that shakes the dang house. And I fell asleep during all of that. Thank you, GTS.

**DONOTDELETE**

Mike this is why my wife loves Buffalo Trace so much. She calls it "root cellar" as it reminds her of her late grandmother's root cellar and her carefree days as a child learning how to cook and can. - Linn

Guru

Okay, Bobby, I am going to try one of these (JW Dant). At least it is something I can get, locally. I don't know which DSP, though.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

Searching for peanuts tonight--an OF scavenger hunt of sorts, brought on by Marvin's post that his BIB had no peanuts!! Scandalous.

One finger pours of Prime, 1849, and BIB, side by side, in identical Riedel SMs. So it's early, already--the two finger pours will come later. The Prime has none of the caramel and peanuts, while both the 1849 and BIB trumpet them loudly. This bottle of BIB--the one I'm packing off to the gazebo in September--is the Cracker Jack of them all, however. It may be younger than the 1849, which has the caramel of the BIB, but the BIB has got those peanuts. I guess Marvin's just gonna have to join us at the gazebo in September!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

Tonight it's ORVW 10yr 107 ....it is the first night of my weekend the last couple of weeks have been very good and that calls for a drop of the god's drink ....no I dare not open my bottle of Stagg yet ,,,,Soon I hope
    Many Thanks to the members of this board for their kindness and help in raising my love and further understanding of Bourbon .....Thank You All
    Bill G.