Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

I wish I'd found this forum a little sooner. A while back, I had the choice between the '92 and '93, and I grabbed the '92 thinking that I would drink in chronological order. Maybe I was overly influenced by the little sticker on the '92 that said, "Selected and bottled for the citizens of Virginia." Now I don't feel as special.

As for right now, I'm enjoying a little Jim Beam Black with ice.

Tommy

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

Hi Tommy! I'm not all that far away from you - just one hundred miles west on I-64. Welcome to Bourbonia! Good to see you here. - Linn

Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

Thanks Linn--glad to be here! Three cheers for the Old Dominion!

Tommy

Guru

Well, whatever this stuff is, it's not bad.

I've never drunk it before; let me check the label, so I get this right. It says "A.H. Hirsch Reserve" and "16 years old", and below where it says "Straight Bourbon Whiskey" is the note "Pot-Stilled Sour Mash". At the bottom it says "Bottled by Hirsch Distillers Lawrenceburg, Kentucky". On the back is a cheaply made, stick-on label that says "Distributed by Preiss Imports, Ramona, CA.

I bought this bottle as part of a six-bottle order from Sam's, back in January (days before their February sale -- I'll know better next year). I decided to open it today only because I'm feeling especially mortal right now, probably due to a combination of things -- the war, my son's recent engagement (I guess he really is an independent adult now), the rapidly approaching end of my sixth decade (which I never expected to survive), and a general sense of ennui.

I suppose I'll have to do a side-by-side with my bottle of the 20 year-old one of these days. All I can say about the 16 year-old right now is that it tastes wonderful, but not at all the way I expect bourbon to taste. If some technologically advanced race were to land on Earth and offer us a sample of their favorite alcoholic drink for toasting, I would expect it to taste like this. It makes some of my recent favorites taste crude and harsh by comparison.

This deservedly famous bourbon is so seamlessly delicious that I have to admire (or perhaps even suspect) anyone who can dissect the flavor into its components.

Oh, and one more thing -- as is my custom, I poured a glass of water at the same time I poured the Hirsch, and I just realized that I've emptied the glass of bourbon without even touching the water. The finish is too good to finish.

Yours truly,
    Dave "I think I'll have another" Morefield

Guru

Exactly what I began drinking just about an hour ago... I cannot say how much I love Hirsch 16. Isn't that finish just wonderful!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes and the other recent comments on Hirsch 16 are very valuable. We must remember: Hirsch, 16 or 20 years old, represents the rare surviving stocks of Michter's, a Pennsylvania distillery whose roots went back to Revolutionary times (making originally straight rye whiskey). Michter's sadly closed in the early 1980's. It was, odd as it may sound, before its time, or before its most recent time. Had it endured it would deserve the iconic status of Jack Daniels and in fact more so (from the point of both pedigree and, not least, taste). The distinctive taste must be put down to the unique Michter's mash bill (and aging in the colder Penn climate): just 50% corn, a big 38% rye grist (which blends in most smoothly at 16 and 20 years) and the rest barley malt. A very fine American whiskey representing a style and name almost lost forever except for those lucky to have some Hirsch in their stash. For historical background on Michter's, Michael Jackson's "World Guide To Whiskey" (1988) is essential reading..

Cy

Administrator in exile

Started tonight with a couple of pours of KY Spirit to go with my newfound Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signatures. Now I am drinking a glass of Rare Breed to try and calm down a bit from a nailbiter of a game. It wasn't pretty, but it was still a win!

Guru

Wathen's single barrel, straight. I didn't originally care much for this whiskey, but I am enjoying it more and more every time I try it.

Tim

Guru

Rare Breed. Straight.

Still my all-time favorite. To me, the perfect bourbon flavor, plus it is big and bold. My version of bourbonic bliss.

No GTS is available for me, so I can't personally compare. But, I can always get RB and I'm 100% satisfied with it.

Tim

Guru

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, from an oddly shaped WT Rare Breed rocks glass that was part of a boxed, special promotion (RB plus two glasses) around Christmas time.

RR has regained the candied orange-peel taste that eluded me the last few times I drank it. However, the finish is still rougher and drier than I remember from when I first tried it. Maybe the Hirsch 16 has spoiled me forever in regard to finish.

BTW, Moderators, would you consider starting a new continuation of this thread for the second quarter of 2003? (I still haven't sprung for DSL, and this thead is getting a mite slow to load.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield