Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

I am sipping Old Grand Dad 114, straight. This is one beautiful bourbon. Excellent taste and aroma with a super spicy finish.

I could no longer name a top five. I would probably even have trouble narrowing it to a top ten. While this OGD 114 is one of my favorites, it would be easy to name 8 or 10 others I like just as much. This is the good life.

Tim

Administrator in exile

AAA 10yo with 2 ice cubes. I think this one benefits froma little ice. A good all-around bourbon thats easy to drink. One of my three "everyday pours".

Disciple

Agreed. It is one of the few I still drink over ice regularly. Mighty tasty that way.

TomC

Administrator in exile

Kentucky Tavern, on ice. Trying to finish up this half pint is becoming more of a chore than I would have imagined. It really doesn't resemble any of the other wheaters that I enjoy. Almost as spicy as a rye bourbon, with strong yeast influences and a slight medicinal taste. Very thin with a somewhat foul aftertaste that lingers way too long. I don't think I would even use this one to cook with, and it would never touch my bourbon balls. Note to self: save the rest for that special friend who "loves" bourbon...in coke

Guru

"This moment", you ask? It's Jefferson Reserve. You see, a bit earlier this afternoon, as I was composing my "Wild Turkey 101 vs. Old Forester BIB" post in the Tasting forum, I drank a shot of George T. Stagg.

For some reason it tasted even better than it did the three or four previous times I've sipped it. That caused me to wonder whether my taster was in a charitable mood this afternoon. I recalled that I had been disappointed with JR the two previous times I had tasted it. I thought that in my present frame of mind I might find it more to my liking.

I ate a couple of crackers and drank a glass of water; then I rinsed and dried my Wild Turkey shot glass and poured an ounce of Jefferson's Reserve. This is certainly not a bad bourbon (I may try to do a more detailed tasting when I'm about half-way through this bottle), but I'm sure glad it was on sale when I bought it. Even at that sale price ($41.99, IIRC) I consider it to be over-priced.

It has a nice nose that suggests French toast, a touch of ripe pear appears on the palate, and it goes down really smoothly. However, the finish leaves my mouth and lips feeling as dry as autumn leaves. I like a bit of dryness at the finish, but this one goes too far. Overall, I expect more enjoyment and no dischordant notes at such a high price.

While I'm picking nits, I'll also comment on the bottle, even though I think it is quite beautiful. (Its photo on the main page at StraightBourbon.com makes me thirsty just looking at it.) Its beauty notwithstanding, the hollow, glass stopper feels as light and flimsy as the Kentucky Spirit stopper feels heavy and robust. I was afraid it might break if I set it on the counter too hard. (So much for my being in a charitable mood, eh? )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

B'B'D, Nice choice on the JR! This is a Top 5 for me, I choose the Knob Creek tonight, as my JR bottle is verrrry low. I will follow up with another glass of the KC, or perhaps "The Stagg". See ya, H'wood

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I'm not sure if I have properly conveyed what I think of GT Stagg. I must say this, on the few times that I have followed it with any other Bourbon the end result has been disappointing indeed. On the up side ( if there is one) I suppose I should do them all that way and in the event that I am not disappointed then I will have found an extrordinary Bourbon.

Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

I hear ya! That happened to me last week. I had the Fox the night after GTS. GTS ruins it for everybody else. You need to get it long out of your taste bud memories so that you can enjoy your other bourbons.

Administrator in exile

In honor of Julian's return to the forum I am having an ORVW 10yo 107proof. Just as wonderful as ever, but with a little more kick this time out. I suppose it is because I haven't eaten in a while. Good to know that this is the same bourbon as the Old Commonwealth. Thought for a minute I was going to have to spend some more time tracking down yet another limited edition. Can't wait for tax-refund time and that bottle of Pappy

Enthusiast

I'm enjoying Wild Turkey, Kentucky Spirit with just a splash of water. A CLASSIC!

Bob