Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

last night I had Four Roses Yellow Label. What there is there is quite good, but at 80 proof I just dont think there is quite enough of it!

TomC

Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking this moment?!? (continue

Well, I've teetotaled 2 of the last 3 weeks (weekdays that is). Last night, to break the drought from the previous week (and 4 lb. loss), I enjoyed Buffalo Trace. One day, I will match it up against OF100 to determine my favorite daily pour.

Tonight, I started with OFBB. Folks, this bottling just doesn't tickle my fancy like it does you all. Maybe I need to match it up against OF 100 to see what the problem is.

For dinner, I had the old standby, Italian sausage, mozz. cheese, peppers, and onions. (Love that low-carb diet!) I graced it with the Fox. This the first time I've had the Fox since my first sampling a few weeks ago, the night after Stagg. This time, the Fox shone. It just needs to be away from robust, high proof bottlings so that its 90 proof silky smoothness can work its magic.

Enthusiast

EC 12YO. I have yet to try the 18. I think this is perfect at 12. Must be the best value in the Bourbon world.
    Mine looks just like this but it's half full.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Baker's -- in my Glencairn taster's glass -- with a glass of Arrowhead water by its side.

Lately, I have seldom been drinking while posting. The exception happened this time because I left a glass of Baker's sitting out overnight.

I had tried to do some reading last night, but I went to sleep after only a couple of pages (and after only a couple of unsatisfying sips). When I finally staggered off to bed, I neglected to attend to the nearly full glass of Baker's.

When I found it this afternoon, I almost dumped it. Then, recalling the stories about how an empty glass smells so good the morning after, I decided to take a sip. I was amazed to discover that it tasted better than it had last night.

That led to a fruitless search of StraightBourbon.com for others' reports on possible taste changes in overnight, leftover bourbon.

My comeuppance came when I decided to pour another glass, having finished the leftover one. I rinsed and dried the glass before refilling it, fully expecting the taste to revert back to what I rememberd from last night. I was wrong.

The more enjoyable taste of today was still there. In short, it was I who had changed overnight, not the glass of Baker's.

Now I am on my third glass, and I have decided that Baker's is what Jim Beam white label wants to be when it grows up -- not black label, not Knob Creek, not Booker's, and certainly not that 80 proof stuff named after Old Grand Dad, hisself. This bottle is about 80% gone, and I'm finally "getting it". Gee, I wonder if Binny's Beverage Depot still has it on sale at $23.99?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

Weller vs Weller

Weller 12yo. Tonight I tasted the 12yo against the Antique to try and detect any similarities. The 12 yo has the better, more rounded nose. The Antique smells "hot". The Antique has some of the caramel notes from the 12yo, but the acidic tannins quickly mount an assault on my taste buds that effectively prevents any further enjoyment. This stuff tastes like a Maker's Mark and Camphor cocktail The 12yo on the otherhand is smooth and refined. Makes me happy.

Advanced Taster

Re: Weller vs Weller

Well, I'll believe it when I taste it. But you've done got me curious. I like the Antique but I'll keep an eye open for the 12 year. Maybe it'll pop up around here somewhere.

-Troy

Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare 10 yr. Not the single barrel, just the regular 10 year. But nice nevertheless! I'd say this is an excellent everyday pour. Nothing fancy but pleasant in it's own right.

-Troy

Administrator in exile

Wild Turkey 12yo. I am going to have to do a side-by-side with this one and KY spirit, as I can't really decide which is my favorite. Lots of rich creamy sweet vanilla and a little nuttiness tonight. Bringing a little life to my lifeless CAO L'Anniversaire Extreme cigar right now

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Stagg, What Else? In a Woodford Reserve tumbler no less.

Virtuoso

Stagg.