Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Crown Royal Black

I don't know what I just drank. My local store had a bowl of airplane bottles of something they said was new, Crown Royal Black. The label was that, "Crown Royal Black" and the flavor wasn't exactly like Cask 16 nor Reserve. Perhaps it was Reserve, but definitely not Cask 16.

My impressions? Unimpressed. Dark color, possibly from coloring. Little nose. Biting alcohol flavor with little else. Almost no aftertaste until the bottle was gone, then not bad aftertaste. The most enjoyable part of the experience was the slight aftertaste after the bottle was gone.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Crown Royal Black

Good eye, seems to be something new. This is an extract from an article by Lance Mayhew on a cocktails-oriented site:

"Crown Royal Black, rumored to be launching in early 2010. Details are sparse at this time but Crown Royal Black is expected to be 100 proof and packaged in an opaque black bottle for a completely different look from the rest of the Crown Royal line".

Here is the full link: http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirit...ian_whisky.htm

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by loose proton View Post
    I don't know what I just drank. My local store had a bowl of airplane bottles of something they said was new, Crown Royal Black. The label was that, "Crown Royal Black" and the flavor wasn't exactly like Cask 16 nor Reserve. Perhaps it was Reserve, but definitely not Cask 16.

My impressions? Unimpressed. Dark color, possibly from coloring. Little nose. Biting alcohol flavor with little else. Almost no aftertaste until the bottle was gone, then not bad aftertaste. The most enjoyable part of the experience was the slight aftertaste after the bottle was gone.
    Are you generally satisfied with whiskies from the Crown Royal range?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Are you generally satisfied with whiskies from the Crown Royal range?
    Cask 16 isn't bad, and would drink more if it were about one third it's cost. I do like XR a lot, but in it's price range I opt for other sips.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by loose proton View Post
    Cask 16 isn't bad, and would drink more if it were about one third it's cost. I do like XR a lot, but in it's price range I opt for other sips.
    Ah. Over the years of drinking many Canadian whiskies I've settled on the conclusion that Crown Royal Deluxe (the standard blend) is the best Canadian in its category, but I've not tried Cask 16 or XR. As you stated there are probably many better choices at those prices. I'll be interested to see how this new expression stacks up against the regular stuff.

Advanced Taster

If you get the chance, do try Cask 16 and XR.

Cask 16 has an interesting unique flavor and definitely worth trying. Like all their stuff, it is a blend. I think it would be better if it were more of the older whiskey and less of younger stuff. It does have the limousin oak flavor, but Glenlivet French Oak is a much better choice for less $$. I think Cask 16 uses used barrels for the finish whereas Glenlivet uses virgin wood for aging.

XR is super! Far smoother than other Crown products. It has a complex range of flavors like is found in the finest whiskeys. No mono-tone here, definitely multi-dimensional. I only have one open bottle. The next time I see it under $100, I'll pick up another bottle.

Connoisseur

Thanks, I don't know too many people who have tried these whiskies so I'm glad to have your opinion.

Connoisseur

Crown Royal Cask 16 uses used Cognac barrels thats what gives it its unique taste (alot of dried fruit, raisins, prunes, etc). CR XR was a non planned Canadian Whiskey the warehouses that it was housed in burnt and a small numbers of barrels survived. It has a very rich smokey nose and taste. Very smooth.

I can tell you that Cask 16 will continue to be produced. Crown XR is very limited right now. We have approx. 22 (6 pack) cases left in the distributor warehouse for the west coast. We had brought in 250 from the Texas area. Not sure how much is back east.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Canadian whiskey is Canadian whiskey and if you don't like them generally, you probably won't suddenly like one because it's higher proof and in a black bottle. I've had some of the very best Canadian whiskey and they just don't travel very far from the run-of-the-mill Canadian. I'm not saying the premium expressions aren't better, they invariably are. There just is only so far a Canadian whiskey can go.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree with that and the only thing in my view that will change the typical palate significantly is if the so-called flavoring whiskeys (straight batch whiskeys) are released either on their own, or in a blend in which they have a much larger say than at present. Michael Jackson called for this in his 1987 World Guide to Whisky, but the producers either are very reticent or quite possibly have not even thought of doing this since it has been over 50 years since any straight whiskey made in Canada was released in non-blended form. The last ones I am aware of were ironically from Seagram, and were called Pedigree, they came in both a "bourbon" and rye version. As far as I know, these products were taken off the market in the early 1950's.

Gary