Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Crown Royal Black

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I agree with that and the only thing in my view that will change the typical palate significantly is if the so-called flavoring whiskeys (straight batch whiskeys) are released either on their own, or in a blend in which they have a much larger say than at present. Michael Jackson called for this in his 1987 World Guide to Whisky, but the producers either are very reticent or quite possibly have not even thought of doing this since it has been over 50 years since any straight whiskey made in Canada was released in non-blended form. The last ones I am aware of were ironically from Seagram, and were called Pedigree, they came in both a "bourbon" and rye version. As far as I know, these products were taken off the market in the early 1950's.

Gary
    Perhaps we should be encouraged that there is a new distiller in Concord that has pot stills and barley malt, and are currently using it to make single malt vodka, presumably to get a quick return on investment. I suspect we will see single malt whisky in a few years.

Advanced Taster

another review of Crown Royal Black

I have a good friend that drinks a lot of better whiskeys (he has THREE bunkers) and is a Jim Beam & Crown fan. He likes regular Crown, but he tried the new Black and thought it was terrible swill.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Perhaps we should be encouraged that there is a new distiller in Concord that has pot stills and barley malt, and are currently using it to make single malt vodka, presumably to get a quick return on investment. I suspect we will see single malt whisky in a few years.
    They would certainly release young stuff to make a profit. But sometimes young is okay. Here in Virginia, we have Wasmunds, which produces good material. http://www.copperfox.biz/index/

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've heard of this venture and it is great news. It will take some time but there is every hope it will introduce some traditional straight-type whiskeys.

I should add that Forty Creek's whiskeys (of Grimsby, Ontario), while a blend (or so I understand) of continuous and batch whiskeys, do attain a flavoursome palate and one that is liked by many, including me. However, I would not regard its products as having the full-bore flavour of a straight or single whiskey.

By the way it is possible that straight whiskeys developed in-house for blending Canadian whisky might resemble some of the High West ryes since there was speculation some of the latter were sourced from Lawrenceburg, Indiana where Seagram's had a long-running plant. That is excellent straight rye, and if Seagram released anything like that I think it would do very well and be a departure for them.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-14-2010 at 14:08.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've never had a chance to study the Canadian laws on the matter, but I think there is a limit to how much low-proof (i.e., under 95% ABV) spirit a given whiskey can contain.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Based on reviewing the standards some years back, the rules seemed quite liberal, whisky must be made from a cereal mash, distilled and aged in Canada, aged 3 years in small wood. I think that was it. There might have been a top limit for distillation as in Scotland, but I don't recall it. I'll check again.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-14-2010 at 14:23.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by loose proton View Post
    another review of Crown Royal Black

I have a good friend that drinks a lot of better whiskeys (he has THREE bunkers) and is a Jim Beam & Crown fan. He likes regular Crown, but he tried the new Black and thought it was terrible swill.
    That is too bad. I wonder why they would release an inferior product, and what they plan on charging for it. Oh well, if this is the case then it is just one less thing to spend my money on.

Here's a couple of links about the Crown Royal Black. One is from John Hansell.

http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2010...nadian-whisky/

http://www.luxist.com/2010/03/29/cro...premium-black/

My son has a friend who manages a bar. He has received a couple of bottles of this already. My son has tried it, and while it isn't to his liking, he thought I'd like it. We bought a bottle of Cask 16 a while back and it was good, so...... I think I'm gonna see what I can do about getting a bottle. I cut my teeth on Canadian whiskies, and if this one has more of a "bourbon" flavor, as it advertises, it might prove interesting. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

We received ample supply of the Crown Royal Black and at my Base Shoppette it is the same price as the regular CR, $24.95. My wife likes CR so I picked up a bottle to try. It is in the same taste profile to me as regular CR but more sweet and not as dry or spicy. The wife likes it with ice and a dash of water. I like it as an aperitif. I call it my morning whisky.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

John Hansell wondered if this was "...the Canadian equivalent to Loch Dhu?"

Anyone else get that impression?