Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Crown Royal Black

I looked for a thread on CR Cask 16 and couldn't find one. Just wanted to say that there are two stores here in Brooklyn that are selling it for around $30. One of them is BQE Liquors, which I've mentioned before (and I swear, I do not know those folks, do not work for them, etc. They just happen to have the best prices I've found in a very expensive town).

But I thought I'd mention it as I'm still seeing it here in NYC(and elsewhere) for $70 or more. I've never seen a whiskey have such divergent pricing

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    I looked for a thread on CR Cask 16 and couldn't find one. Just wanted to say that there are two stores here in Brooklyn that are selling it for around $30. One of them is BQE Liquors, which I've mentioned before (and I swear, I do not know those folks, do not work for them, etc. They just happen to have the best prices I've found in a very expensive town).

But I thought I'd mention it as I'm still seeing it here in NYC(and elsewhere) for $70 or more. I've never seen a whiskey have such divergent pricing
    Are you sure that's $30 for a 750ml? The liquor store near me in NJ had CR Cask 16 on sale for only $19.99, but when I looked closer it was the 375ml. The fact that the bottle is so ornate and comes in a plush pouch inside a cardboard not-quite-cylinder made it look bigger than it is. It was still a great price for MA's Canadian Whisky of the Year, especially since it was originally released at $100 (per 750ml). They had a bunch a few months ago but lately that shelf space has been empty.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Connoisseur

It's the 750. I bought one at the place I know on Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint for about $35, and I'm sure it's the 750 at BQE, too, they even have it listed in their catalogue for $29 before tax.

http://bqewineandliquors.com/Catalogs/BQE-Spirits.pdf

Disciple

My wife's favorite is regular CR so we took some CR Black and cut it back to approx. 80 proof and compared the two. Not only is CR Black higher proof, it definitely isn't the same blend at a higher proof. While it isn't bad, the wife likes regular CR much better!

Thomas

Advanced Taster

Yeah, I much prefer the other Crown Royal expression to CR Black. I reviewed it here.
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I feel the Black is neither fish nor fowl. Seagram should re-introduce a bourbon similar to Benchmark as it was in the 1970's, which is what CR Black reminds me of but only to a degree...

Gray

Virtuoso

I'm not a big Canadian whisky fan, but I decided to grab a bottle of this, at the prodding of a couple of co-workers, who also drink their share of whisk(e)y. I'm glad I did. I honestly like this expression. The higher proof and the "bourbon like" profile sits well with me. It's definitely Canadian, but it's also more... if that makes any sense. I like it.

I just wish it was more assertive, but falling short of bourbon as such. Still, it is one of the best of the new crop Canadian whiskies out there.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I just wish it was more assertive, but falling short of bourbon as such. Still, it is one of the best of the new crop Canadian whiskies out there.

Gary
    It's okay for Canadian whisky to taste like Canadian whisky, Gary .

This one seems to have divided whisky fans. Some like it, others find it atrocious for some reason.

Well, good point: at what point does it become non-Canadian in taste if you amp up the straight whiskey component? But I'd say Black has some way to go still, it is still a fairly mild drink. I still like it though.

Maybe Wiser's Legacy is the one that gets the balance best...

Gary